It Never Rains in California...but it sure does in Cusco!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
January 25th 2010
Published: January 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Bar No More!Bar No More!Bar No More!

There one night...gone the following morning
We hadn't planned to blog before next weekend but interesting events have occurred that pushed this ahead a bit...nothing as dramatic as what has occurred in Haiti, but certainly noteworthy for us and the region of Cusco where we hang out these days...here's our story...

In the past week or 10 days here, the rains have become more incessant and certainly the volume of water falling is becoming of great concern to local residents. Given that this is rainy season high in the Andean mountains everyone, including us, is expecting a certain amount of moisture most days...but the look of surprise on the faces of locals tells us that this year is exceptional. A little rain followed by a little sun usually keeps the moisture balance in check.

In the past few days, we are hearing...and seeing... the results of the massive rainfalls. We know that houses on the other side of this valley have slid down the hillsides, and we have been seeing and hearing smaller slides of dirt and rock on our very own street. We wake up in the night and can hear the tumbling and crashing sounds just down the street as another metre or two of wet dirt and rocks hit the road. Fortunately, it appears that we are far enough up the road and protected by solid embankments on the far side of the street that we should be immune.

This Sunday morning as we headed out on foot about 8:30 am to catch a tour bus to the Sacred Valley-an agricultural and Incan historic area roughly 30 km. from Cusco-we passed an intersection a block down (as we've noted earlier, it's always either up or down here in Cusco!) the road from our residence. What caught our eye on the inclined roadway was a hole in the usual solid wall of storefronts and restaurants and bars. The bar that we had passed by the night before and where the owners were hanging a huge string of balloons out front to attract patrons, had now disappeared in a deep pile of rubble not unlike what we see in news reports where a bomb has hit a building. We assume the rains had saturated the adobe structure and it just collapsed with the weight of the water...we haven't heard yet if there were injuries.

After gawking for a moment, we carried on
Truck Trapped in the MuckTruck Trapped in the MuckTruck Trapped in the Muck

En route to the Sacred Valley near Cusco
to catch our tour bus (in the pouring rain). The bus headed off and all was well...the first sign of potential trouble was just a kilometre or two outside of Cusco-two gaping holes probably 4 to 6 feet across on the right side of the road. Our bus driver ably and nonchalantly skirted well around them.

Very soon we encountered numerous small slides covering portions of the paved roadway leading to the Sacred Valley. There were many steep enbankments to our right as the bus maneuvered its way through the obstacle course of mud and rock of various sizes littering the road. No sign of any emergency vehicles or road clearing equipment of any type, just cars and buses happily meandering their way towards the Sacred Valley.

It seemed inevitable that small slides would eventually lead to a larger one (c'mon, we're from BC, big slides happen in the mountains!) and this premonition soon came true. A couple of cars and buses were pulled over to the side of the relatively narrow road and not moving- we spotted an 18 wheeler-type truck about 100m ahead kind of mired in red mud and rocks surrounding its left side. The
No problem...we can drive past this!No problem...we can drive past this!No problem...we can drive past this!

A lane is cleared and we're on our way again
mud was only a foot or so deep but it seemed that this trip had met its end...after all in Canada, a road in this condition could be closed for a day or even a week until the mess had been cleared and stabilization of hillsides was achieved...BUT...this is Peru. Everyone (including us) jumped out of their buses and cars and some helped push rocks (like boulder-size rocks!)away from the truck while the rest of us idiots took photos and eyeballed the cliffs nervously wondering when the next slide would occur.

Ten or fifteen minutes passed as the truck was still enmeshed in the goo, when finally one Cusco police SUV materialized and 4 officers slowly climbed out and examined the situation of this slide on a mountain-side cliff overlooking the Sacred Valley way below. No attempts were made to keep the growing numbers of spectators back or suggest that vehicles return to Cusco or ...well, whatever one might expect those in authority to do??

Fortunately, within 5 minutes or so of the polices' arrival, we could see a large Caterpillar earth moving vehicle winding its way on the roadway towards us from the opposite side of the
Looking up Towards Our ResidenceLooking up Towards Our ResidenceLooking up Towards Our Residence

Mud and rocks obscure part of the road between the school and our "casa"
slide. A few back and forths of rock and mud by the machine and then some heave-ho pushes of the truck by a group of men and the trapped truck was sprung from its captive muck and moving forward. No further checking or assessing the state of the road was necessary...everyone hopped back in their cars and busses and traffic once again manoevred around the mud and rocks that remained on the road. We were on our way again...once more dodging the smaller slides and rivers of water that now routinely dotted and crossed the road.

The delay that resulted from the slide prevented us from one stop on our tour but otherwise it went ahead as planned and we returned back to our little room at Amauta II about 7 pm in the pouring rain...to be fair, I should mention that there was about 2 or 3 hours of warm sun in the mid-afternoon which was very pleasant...the rains do stop for periods of time!

So we are back "home" again now and as I type away here, our night house attendant named Efrain has passed by our room and told us that our street is now
Not All Rain and Mud!Not All Rain and Mud!Not All Rain and Mud!

The Sunday tour continued on to Ollantaytambo, a spectacular Incan ruin, where the sun shone and all was well, at least for a short time [:)]
blocked to vehicle traffic because too many rocks have fallen onto the road below us to get a car past. We can look out our second floor window and see the rubble strewn across the road below us. Again, while writing this, I've heard a couple of deep rumbles and thuds as more rocks tumble and hit the road between our residence and the Amauta school's main building.

Speaking of Efrain, he informs us tonight that a state of emergency has been declared in the Cusco region. For him though, the danger of rain to his own house with his wife, son and 2 siblings is more immediate. The rains have damaged his adobe home and when not working, he has been digging ditches around the perimeter of the house and putting up plastic sheets on the exterior walls to guard against any further moisture damage. He claims that it's a "peligroso" -dangerous- situation, and we can see that it is a worry for him...

So, our little language learning escapade has quickly evolved into a weather adventure....stay tuned... we are safe, no worries ...


Advertisement



25th January 2010

rain
Holy cow!! I am glad you are safe if not dry.. The ruins look amazing . It actually has been raining in California and there has been snow in the Mojave desert.
25th January 2010

wow..
Hi Larry and Maureen! I sure am enjoying your blog, stories and pictures! Kinda scary with all the rain though. And have you eaten more guine pig?? Just got back from Costa Rica. An amazing trip with highlight being seeing a scarlet macaw in the wild and baby Leatherback turtles on the beach. Our exciting moment was canoeing down an estuary with crocodiles and realizing our boat had a leak :). Can I send you my picture link at your home email?? Continue your amazing adventure. Buenos tardes amigos... Val.
25th January 2010

Hi Val
No more guinea pig yet...but it's on the list! Glad you had a good trip too...you do get around. Yep, you can send via my personal e-mail. Thanks for writing Val...
25th January 2010

Weather Adventure
You gave me the giggles! (nervous ones) I can see how Canada and slide protocol is so different from Peru. I am always nervous driving the Hope Princeton, hoping I will not see a slide or be part of one. I am nervous from Summerland to Peachland! I hope the rain slows so everyone can be safe and dry in their homes. Keep us posted! Cherie
27th January 2010

amazimg
Hi Maureen and Larry I am glad you are safe and hope that condition continues. I hope the same holds out for Efrain and his family. I am sure there are a lot of people there suffering greatly. It is amazing how "safety" consicious we are in Canada. when in most countries you just get ut of the bus and help clear mud slides and push the bus through. Amazing!! Good luck!!!
27th January 2010

are you OK??
Cusco was on the news last night with tourists being evacuated from Machu Picchu. Everything OK with you?? Got good gumboots? :) Val
27th January 2010

Keep paddling!
Thanks for the update. We'll be looking forward to more! Keep safe and dry (as possible)
28th January 2010

Good Grief
Well at least you don't have to shovel it...but I guess I could be wrong there as someone has to and it sounds like the locals as well as the visitors all have to get to work and shovel the goop. Can you imagine this happening on the way to Whistler,all those prima dona sports folks grabbing a shovel or whatever?? Love the pictures Sure relieved to see you are ok. Jacquie
30th January 2010

Stay safe
Hi Guys, When we saw the headline in OUR local newspaper about people stranded at Machu Pichu, we knew you had really hit the rainy season! Great story for the grandchildren some day . . . in the meantime, stay safe and keep us posted. Betty
1st February 2010

wet travelling
hi what an adventure! is it sask. gumbo? enjoying your trip news. e
3rd February 2010

YIKES!!
What an adventure you are having! I've been wondering how you were doing having seen a little coverage on TV about the rains and floods in Peru. GREAT blog - what an excellent writer you are. Stay safe!
5th February 2010

Rain Rain Rain
Sure glad to hear from you Cuse Cusians. One of the boats here was expecting someone who was living in Peru to babysit there cat but the sitter decided to take a side trip to Machu Pichu on their way to Puerto Vallarta. They never made it but got stuck in Cusco and now are late to babysit so we were worried about you when we heard about the weather there. Wonderful blog excellent writing. The weather hear is wierd also. We almost drowned the other day when a tropical depression hit us dipositing over an inch of water in an hour. We couln't see a hundred feet even with the lightning strikes happening at more than ten per minute. When will this el nino end. Enjoy and all our best wishes Angus and Rolande

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb