Cusco - The city I hate, but still love.... eh....


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Cusco » Cusco » Cusco
June 10th 2008
Published: June 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Inca Capital



Cusco was the Inca Capital for over hundred years and a lot of history can be found in this city. The historical centre is beautiful with cobblestone streets, remains of Inca walls, churches and chatedrals.
I visited the Inca museum after been to Machu Picchu. It was a interesting tour worth doing if you are here. You can easily spend a few days in Cusco without really doing anything special. Just soak in the atmosphere, eat some local food in the market or drink a coffe on one of Plaza de Armas many balconies. It's a great city to visit!

"Sexy Woman"



Or Saqsaywanàn which is the real name, is situated on a hilltop above Cusco. David, Ruth and I walked up to have a look on saturday.
The ruins had both military and religious significance and is the most impressive one nearby Cusco. Manco Inca recaptured this fortress from the Spanish in 1536, and almost defeated them here.
Anyway.... After Machu Picchu, this woman wasn't really sexy at all! But we had a good view over Cusco and a nice walk : )


Party, eating, being hassled, party, sleeping (a bit)



After we had been trekking for five days and was pretty tired all of us, we still had some power left for a night in town (or three actually... in a row: ) ) We all enjoyed the company of eachother and it was a bit sad to leave on monday.
Saturday was the highlight with almost everyone from the trip gatered and dancing to 5 am.... good fun!

The main reason I hate Cusco is because of all the hassle! You are asked every 2 minutes if you would like to by postcards, pictures, having massages (which I actually said yes to after the trekking ; ) ), eat in a restaurant, bying cocaine, or get some information about Machu Picchu!
But except for that: it's a beautiful city!




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The Inka empireThe Inka empire
The Inka empire

This is how it would look like if you "put" the inka empire into Europe
The Sexy WomanThe Sexy Woman
The Sexy Woman

Or: Saqsaywamán which is the real name
Inka Cola and beer! Inka Cola and beer!
Inka Cola and beer!

The new era of drinking?


16th June 2008

Inkas and Vikings
Inka-country looks wonderful. It`s amazing what they did in the pre-bulldozer era. I have to inform you that sticking to the Viking tradition your old man has planned for a Berserkgang on Wednesday. On the Oslo Fjord. Here is a Youtube video of the civilized part of the 2004 tour. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzqgFvy3FXU
17th June 2008

Berserkgang in the inner part of Oslo Fjord
I can see that quit a lot of the 2004 tour (especially the more uncivilized parts) is deleted from that you tube video ; ) And in proper Viking tradition, I have now booked a tour with a boat, to explore the Galapagos Islands! More updates with Inka mysteries is coming up soon!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb