The dangerous road


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ayacucho
September 6th 2005
Published: September 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The RouteThe RouteThe Route

Bad roads on near verticle drops and there you have the route across the Andes!!!!
Well that was one of the hardest, scariest journeys we have ever done. The road was a very narrow dirt track along the backbone of the Andes. It was noted in our Lonely Planet guide as being “a little hard on the back”. Well at one point the back wheels came off the road and they had to jack it back onto the road, and the drop must have been at least 500m directly down, down, down. Luckily the journey was over night so we could not see how dangerous it really was.

After 7 hours the buss came to a stop and just sat there. We were not sure what was happening and then we found out there had been a landslide and there was a cue of about 7 busses and trucks waiting to get by. All the drivers and helpers were out there with shovels clearing the road! Needless to say we stayed in Ayucochu for a few days to relax. And prepare for the next leg of the journey.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The MountainsThe Mountains
The Mountains

But this is the payment for such hard travel...
The ValleysThe Valleys
The Valleys

But this is the payment for such hard travel...
The PampasThe Pampas
The Pampas

But this is the payment for such hard travel...


Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb