Disaster Strikes (at home!)


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ayacucho » Ayacucho
January 2nd 2009
Published: January 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Have you ever read an email that made your stomach jump? Well, on New Year´s Day we got some news from our upstairs housemate that pipes had burst, the laundry room was flooded and likely our apartment as well. He couldn´t get a hold of the landlord yet. We emailed Jeannine & Pete, who we left keys with, and asked them to go over when they could.

Today we found out that pipes in our closet did indeed burst and our entire apartment was indeed flooded. They had to call the City to get the water shut off! John must be clairvoyant to have brought our computer and wii to baby-sitters. Evidently there was a service company in our apartment drying all of our worldly belongings and no doubt helping themselves to the 6 PBRs, one can of bread crumbs, probably spoiled kimchi and all the other random food items we stuffed in our fridge so as to save energy.

The good news is, it´s not our fault!!! Yes, everyone knows we keep the heat on low when we take extended winter vacations (and amble about in bear skins when we´re home). But, the housemate assures us that the problem was that the landlord forgot to turn off the valve to the outside water spigot. That´s right--we said ¨spigot¨in a travel blog. Imagine if we had been home sleeping soundly when it burst!

On the travel front where there has been nothing but good luck and buena onda, we are still loving Ayacucho. Today we saw Pre-Incan ruins of the Wari people. We frolicked in fields of agave and other cacti and even ate of their fruits.

Tomorrow we leave at 6:30am for a 10 hour bus ride to Andahuaylas. We are taking the slow route to Cusco and trying to acclimate to the altitude along the way. 3 minutes left until time´s up so pictures are on their way!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Cactus FruitCactus Fruit
Cactus Fruit

Dee-lish-us!!!
Wari RuinsWari Ruins
Wari Ruins

Almost all of the green you see in this pic is cacti.


5th January 2009

Hey I recognize that cactus!
Is that prickly pear? Are the fruits magenta when ripe with lots of round seeds and almost too sweet? We boiled the fruits down and made a backpacking-style jelly in Arizona. Oddly enough they also live in a small pocket in the San Juan islands of WA state....probably braught by birds. I think your mom braught some prickly pear jelly back from Arizona once too?? maybe? More food pictures!
5th January 2009

Dayum!
Cripes guys! So crazy. I'm glad that I wasn't staying there after all! Maybe it's a good thing you aren't there though - don't have to deal with it. However, here's hoping the pros do a top notch job. Anyways, You two look/sound like you're having worlds of experiences. Keep up the good work and know we all can't wait until you're home! Lovelovelove you :)
9th January 2009

Their Insurance agent
As they say every cloud has a silver lining. When Josie and John get back home they will have all of their clothing dry cleaned and bagged. They will have a new toilet, walls painted carpet on the floor and much better insulation. They will probably also have a check to buy some misc things that were not to be repaired or cleaned. They will probably have to go stay in a nice motel or hotel while they put there home back in order.
10th January 2009

and why not...
Of course something like that has to happen to you two! It makes like a little more interesting. Safe travels and I hope to hear more from you soon! loves yous;)
11th January 2009

Great pictures
Hey you to world travelers... Your pictures are great... Sounds like your dad is taking care of the apartment.
15th January 2009

can of bread crumbs
next time you go out of the country, i will watch your bread crumbs for you
26th January 2009

oh oh.... no good. At least you get to relax for awhile before having to face it!!!

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb