Don´t Travel on Friday 13th!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa
July 13th 2007
Published: July 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It all started at breakfast, when the tour leader's order was lost. At 12 noon our bus arrived to take us to the airport, unfortunately while parked outside our hotel, the driver was issued a parking ticket. After checking in at the airport, we waited in the departure lounge until 3.40pm when boarding should have taken place. We were advised the plane was delayed by two hours, oh well. After further waiting and the lounge becoming gradually emptier, we were advised the flight was now cancelled! Next flight available was some time tomorrow, maybe..... We sat around and waited and tried to see if any further flights were available, and tried to battle to reclaim our departure tax. Then we were advised that we could board another flight. Whilst waiting for a few minutes in the queue, we were abruptly informed that the flight was fully booked!

Then strangely a man appeared and said that maybe he could help to get us transport to Arequipa. After some negotiation with our tour leader, two seven seater space wagons surprisingly arrived. After further negotiation on price, it was time to leave. (Suspiciously the group agreed to depart, as this was the only option to keep to the planned timetable).

This was the start of an incredible journey, one we will never forget! First our driver said his farewells to his family, and then after taking a short cut down some side streets, we finally left Cusco. The driver in the other car decided to make the trip a family outing, and invited the wife and son along! At this point we should explain why taking an overpriced space wagon was our only option. It seems that Peru is going through a period of protests and strikes. Everyone is joining in the strikes, initially just the taxi drivers and public transport, now extending to the farmers, miners and the largest impact the teachers... The combination of these have crippled the transport system, as the few vehicles that are running would have to navigate through picket lines and roads blocked by protestors. Therefore to get anywhere we would have to pay for the privilege and travel by night, to avoid any potential trouble.

As the journey continued we soon realised that the boulders, glass and blockages on the roads were not our only concerns. We had a slightly worried feeling that our driver had not driven his vehicle before. He seemed unable to dim his headlights blinding all the oncoming vehicles, despite some unwanted advice from one of the group members. He had no idea regarding the heating controls, drove extra cautiously, sometimes on the wrong side of the road and we had a struggle keeping awake. To keep him alert we had to open windows, turn up the music, chat to him and give him water as he chewed his cocoa leaves. Pleased that Nick and I were in the back, away from the action going on in the front of the vehicle!

Eventually at 9pm we stopped for a bite to eat, thinking it was a safe option we ordered chips. However being Friday 13th our chips arrived half cooked, so we had to send them back to be reheated! We set off again keeping our driver awake, as the windows steamed up, and eventually froze to ice keeping the temperature on the frosty side. As the road conditions worsened we entered Arequipa. The roads were littered with boulders, broken glass, barriers and the odd tyre alight. Luckily most of the protestors had gone home, so fortunately we escaped without any trouble. We arrived at the hotel at 5am, however a few minutes before our vehicle got stopped by the police for not displaying a numberplate on the rear. After a quick conversation, and some money exchanged we were soon released. What a journey, one we will never forget! We then only managed to gain a few hours sleep due to our busy itinerary.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb