Colca Canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
June 20th 2015
Published: June 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

The alarm went off at 2.15 am and we dragged ourselves out of bed, by 2.33am we were on the bus to Colca Canyon. After 3 hours we arrived in Chivay for breakfast. From there we stoppped at several small villages and saw local ladies and little children marching around the village square and got asked many times if we wanted to take photos of the children in their brightly coloured costumes.
By 11am we were at Colca Canyon itself, the canyon was vast. We had just 40 minutes to spend here so rushed down to the best vantage point to see the condors. After a short wait we saw several huge condors cruising around in the sky getting closer and closer to us.
All too soon it was time to leave, we stopped at some hot springs for a welcome bathe before being taken to lunch. There was a buffet laid on with many Peruvian dishes to try.
After a long bus ride back through magnificent scenery we arrived back at our hostal in Arequipa, collected our bags and left for the bus station.
At 8.30pm we boarded the night bus to Cusco.
All in all an exausting day ( and night!) but memorable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Small village on the way to Colca CanyonSmall village on the way to Colca Canyon
Small village on the way to Colca Canyon

It was only about 7am and very cold!


Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb