Day 66 - Colca Canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
May 27th 2010
Published: June 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today we started on our way to Colca Canyon, stopping at many viewpoints, villages and markets along the way. We learnt the differences between llamas and alpacas (finally!) - llamas are bigger (120kg) with longer necks and ears, multicoloured coats and long faces like kangaroos. They can carry 40kg on their backs and their wool is used for rope and blankets. Alpacas have longer hair (the "suri" subtype have longer hair than the "guacayas"; the former can grow to 20-30cm) which is better quality thus used for clothes. They have hairy faces and are shorter (60kg). Their meat is very low in fat (even better than the lean kangaroo apparently) although the best meat is supposedly guanaco, which is a protected relative so we will never know. Vicuña (another endangered and protected wild relative) has the best quality wool, but is extremely expensive as it only grows 2-3cm long.

We had an A-MAY-ZING buffet for lunch - much better value than our Sacred Valley one (unfortunately you get no choice or cheap options on these organized excursions). Who says you don't get your 5-a-day when travelling - we've had a great diet (except for the bread and butter for breakfast and the rice and chips that is served with everything!).

We went on a walk up the hillside to see some ancient tombs (pre-colonial) still full of bones and skulls, pretty creepy! We got caught in a hail and rain shower and got soaked - good test for our quick dry trousers which were dry after our half hour bus journey to the Chivay thermal spa!

In the evening we were taken to an overpriced restaurant, redeemed by the peña show (folk music and dancing). We saw 3 traditional dances - wititi (dance of love), one about agriculture and one that involved eating an apple then lying on the ground being whipped! Unfortunately Chris and I were selected as "volunteers" for a repeat of this dance, and they actually whipped us! No marks made though. Taryn and I had some traditional hot cocktails, mine with rum, orange and coca leaves and hers with Pisco, lemon and coca leaves. Warming on a cold night.

Chris's Corner

The most hilarious bit about the thermals in Chivay is that once Sophie has taken her glasses off and has no contacts, she isn't far off being blind! Not funny in itself of course, I the ever diligent boyfriend have gotten quite used to leading her around at pools and beaches by my arm, her with no idea what is going on. And in this cased, unable to see Taryn waving on the other side of the spa!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb