Arequipa: The Colca Canyon


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
June 27th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Triumphant!Triumphant!Triumphant!

Seth, Gali, Dani, Eetu
First off, it is essential to say: We survived!!!

Our excursion to the Colca Canyon started very early in the morning with a 3am pick up. We drove until 6am when we took a break and then continued on until we reached the Canyon of the Condors (Huge birds!). We saw some of the amazing creatures and then got back in the van.

When we arrived at the Colca Canyon we started walking. None of us had any idea what we were in for. The hike started and we were all amazed by the scenery! We had no idea of the physical and mental challenges ahead of us on the way down.

The first leg of the trek was down since we were climbing down a canyon. It was steep and tricky so we took it very slow. We were told it usually takes 4 hours, it took us about 4 and a half. Our guide wasn´t the best, he claimed that he couldn´t walk as slow as us so he hung behind and would occasionally pop up. The vistas were breathtaking, the pictures are good but really don't do it justice.

There are three villages at
Triumphant!Triumphant!Triumphant!

Dani, Gali, Seth
the bottom of the canyon. The first one was our destination for lunch and the last was where we slept. Upon our arrival for lunch we were exhausted and needed the break. Lunch was surprisingly tasty and relaxing. With our strength gathered we set of on the

The first leg of the hike takes around 4 hours. It took us about 4 and a half.

Once we reached the bottom of the canyon, we had lunch in the first of the 3 villages. After eating and resting, we pressed on for the last of the villages. This hike was easier than the mornings since it was less technical. As the hours passed, the sun did its thing as it does every day and set. This meant we finished the hike in the dark!!!! Both cool and scary and!! I was excited about finishing the hike in the dark so I didn't mind that we didn't get to see the oasis during day light. The girls were not as thrilled. That night we all slept very well until our 5am wake up came around and we started to hike out of the canyon. This three and a half hour ascent was not easy but we all did it!!! Once reaching the top we all felt amazing and accomplished!!!

After a photo shoot we walked to the closest village (thankfully a flat walk) for some breakfast and then headed to some hot springs. The hot pool was a welcome feeling on our sore muscles. Later we returned to Arequipa for a final sleep until our flight left for Cusco the next morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Triumphant!Triumphant!
Triumphant!

Dani, Gali, Seth
Triumphant!Triumphant!
Triumphant!

Seth, Gali
Triumphant!Triumphant!
Triumphant!

Dani, Gali
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Gali, Seth
Hot SpringsHot Springs
Hot Springs

Gali, Seth
Town After HikeTown After Hike
Town After Hike

Seth, Condor, Gali
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Gali, Seth
HikingHiking
Hiking

Gali, Eetu, Seth
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Seth, Gali
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Bridge at the base of the canyon.


Tot: 0.372s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.2854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb