Condor spotting!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Colca Canyon
June 21st 2005
Published: June 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Andean PlateauThe Andean PlateauThe Andean Plateau

At 4900m this is the highest point before dropping into Chivay. Stone pyramids are built by travellers to bring luck on the journey.
A 2 day journey across some of Peru's wildest terrain led to the Colca Canyon. Climbing to a height of 4900m, many alpaca's, llama's and their wild cousins, the vicunas were spotted grazing alongside the road. The Vicunas is protected and is the national animal. Much of the road was not sealed, making for a slow, bumpy ride. Day 1 saw us drop into Chivay for the night. It is the capital of the Colca Canyon region, and it just so happened that the 20th/21st is the day the region has it's annual celebration. The Peruvian's really know how to throw a party! The town plaza was closed to transport, a stage was set up with non-stop music and dancing, they dance in the streets dressed in costumes, food everywhere, bonfires lit on the street, and fireworks. It was a "grande fiesta", which didn't stop til 4.30am!!! On the Saturday they had the more sedate parade by all the groups of people dressed in costume, including their prize cattle.

Just on dusk, we headed off to the natural hot springs for a soak in 38deg outside pools. It was great after the bumpy ride. This was followed by dinner at
The Colca ValleyThe Colca ValleyThe Colca Valley

Terraced fields, and the Colca River.
a restuarant including a show of music and dancing which resulted in public participation.

After a few hours sleep it was back on the bus to head out to Cruz del Condor. Despite being 3500m high, the Colca Canyon is very fertile thanks to natural springs dotting all over the mountains. Agriculture is the biggest earner, over 300 varities of potatoes are grown, along with other crops. I even spotted Friesian cows. The land is terraced all the way down to the river.

The Colca Canyon is 3191m deep, only slightly shallower than a nearby canyon. It is very rugged, yet roads weave around the sides and habitation can be spotted in the most precarious places.

At Cruz del Condor we had just over an hour to marvel at the Andean Condor gliding majestically on the thermal waves. The mature bird stands 1m tall, has a 3m wingspand, and lives to an age of 50-60years. There were approx 10 birds in flight, but mainly flew lower in the canyon. Occassionally one would rise to our level and pass only metre's above our heads. Photo's just can't do it justice!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

AchomaAchoma
Achoma

A little town en route to Cruz del Condor.
AchomaAchoma
Achoma

Traditional Dance by "chica's"
The Colca CanyonThe Colca Canyon
The Colca Canyon

Only 1200m deep here!
Cruz del CondorCruz del Condor
Cruz del Condor

The Andean Condor in full flight


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb