Colca Canyon Hike vs Grand Canyon Hike


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Chivay
November 21st 2013
Published: November 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The common denominator is down, way down, hours of just, down. But there were some other similarities... about half way along the Colca trail we started to see a crescent of green oasis at the bottom, and it reminded me of the view of Phantom Ranch as I'd descended the Kaibab Trail. And there were mules on the trail and a fair number of other hikers. The geology did not appear to be as interesting on the Colca, it lacks the layers of colored rocks that make the Grand Canyon so brilliant. Although there was a stunning rock outcrop that reminded me of the devils post-pile. The trail itself was in excellent shape, nicely constructed with lots of switchbacks. Bone dry so the main 'watch out' was slipping on loose grit and gravel, but no wet areas at all. The oasis at the bottom has a number of little cabin/hut type places to stay. The one we stayed at had a couple of stunning little swimming pools nicely integrated with the natural rock. Very peaceful. Another startlingly similar characteristic was the screaming leg muscles, post-assent. Why is it the second day is always worse than the first??? I am on the third floor in the rest house and it was a chore attempting to go up and down without actually using any leg muscles...

We did a 2 day trip/hike based out of Arequipa and I'd have to say that it was way to much driving vs on the ground experience. There are remote villages on the far side of the canyon, and I wished I taken more time to see them, minimum 3 days. As it was we had a nice hike but it totally lacked any cultural connection.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 26; qc: 115; dbt: 0.1176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb