Two days in Arequipa


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
December 26th 2009
Published: December 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The trip began Tuesday (Dec 22) morning at 6:30am after a long night of half-sleeping at YVR, waiting for our flight to LA. After three flights (one a surprisingly pleasant 8.5-hour flight on a LAN vessel) Becky, Melissa, Nathan (her brother) and I stepped out of our final airplane early Wednesday morning (Dec 23) to be greeted by a towering Misti, a snowless Chachani, a warm Arequipa, and the flailing arms of my dad who immediately ran to the appropriate spot in the viewing area of the airport to take pictures of us weary travelers. A long, hard day of snoozing ensued (two days for Nathan who had an 18 hour wait in the Lima airport).

Impatient and daring drivers, heavy traffic, swarms of people, dirty streets, dwindling trees, blaring horns and combis - I wasn't quite sure how Melissa would react. Arequipa is very much on a different Earth than beautiful BC.

Thus far Melissa has met much of my church family, has been in my old high school and church, has walked in loops waiting for my memory to lead us to the right places, has experienced the allure of craft markets, has been targeted and successfully reeled in by the kind souls of REMAR, has savored the wonders of the FRUNA, has fed the wildlife at the Plaza de Armas, has witnessed the workings of the local transit system (which she does not pretend to understand), and has been hit by altitude sickness.

A lot of culture in just a few days.

It is a tricky balance act when you try to get some rest in while celebrating Christmas and my Dad's birthday on the Eve.

Many adventures await. God bless you all.


Advertisement



26th December 2009

Wow! Sounds like a lot of fun! We are looking forward to hearing more about your adventures and wish we could be there with you! Kap and Cora
27th December 2009

Yahoo!
Great to hear what's up - thanks for the invite! Will read each installment with interest. Ernie
14th January 2010

what fun
What do ya mean, aRequipa is not on the same planet as Beautiful B.C.....It was wonderful having you all at our place.

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb