Cuy anyone? It tastes like fish with the consistency of chicken. yum


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
November 29th 2008
Published: December 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Cuy is spanish for Guinea Pig.... and no its not what your thinking. Not the sweet little family pet but the PERUVIAN DELICACY.

My first day in Arequipa was spent getting lost with Justin and Kaj fellow volunteers. After being lost and walking along the main road of what seemed like a country town Kaj had a brainwave and decided we would try Cuy. I was enthusiastic to begin with... I mean when in rome... etc. So we ordered two between the three of us.

It came out complete with fried skin complete with hair, claws, fur, teeth, eyes, tongue, liver, kidneys, brain and other unidentifiable yet completely edible things... at least for the boys. I tried only the flesh which we came to the consensus that it tasted like fish with the consistency of chicken.....mmmm...... delicious lol.
The boys ate everything and I mean everything, attached are photos of them eating brains and eyes. It was disgusting. Luckily we were eating outside in the fresh air so when I was overcome with nausea and gagging I was able to run to a nearby paddock. Luckily I didnt vomit, I was trying hard to not offend the peruvian farmers who were watching in amusement and the waiters who checked on us every now and then.

We pocketed the claws to serve as hairbrushes and back scratchers for the other volunteers back at the house. You can imagine the response. Haha... although i prefered being scratched on the arm my a dismembered claw than having to eat it.

So after out delicious lunch, we decided to walk up about colourful 250 steps on the side of a mountain which led to nowhere. Haha, so feeling icky, and unable to avoid re-living the fermenting guinea pig in my stomach I waited at the top of the stairs and the boys continues to climb what we dubbed ¨Trash Mountain¨ which unsurprisingly is a mountain with lots of rubbish on it.

All in all a wonderful introduction to Arequipa known as the beautiful white city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Claws for a snack, anyone?Claws for a snack, anyone?
Claws for a snack, anyone?

Or if youre not hungry use as a back scratcher or hairbrush


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb