Copacabana and Arequipa


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Arequipa » Arequipa
June 6th 2008
Published: June 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Day 51
Got the tourist bus to Copacabana, which is a little village on the banks of Lake Titicaca. Arrived in good time so managed to get on a boat trip to Isla del Sol. Really pretty area and lovely views but we didn´t get much time to explore the island. The islanders were trying to get money off us just for getting off the boat for 10 minutes so we weren´t impressed. Then we got told off for taking pictures of Llamas, apparantly theý´re sacred (even though we had eaten one on a pizza a few days ago).
Bumped in to Nuala and Richard again so went out for some bevvies with them. They splashed out on a guided boat tour cos they are massive time. It was good for us because then they could tell us all the facts. The best story was about how the Copacabana folk get together. Apparantly once a year there is a 3 day fiesta where everyone dances and drinks lots. The men prove there strength by dancing for the longest (dancing is just running on the spot). On the last day the women get so drunk that the men have to come and pick them up and take them home. Whoever the women wake up with is then considered to be their husband!

Day 52
Time to move on again. This time to country number 5, Peru. Another long day on a bus which wasn´t made any easier with my stomach issues. Arrived in Arequipa at about 6 and a nice taxi driver took us around a couple of hostels until we were satisfied and crashed out.

Day 53
Pottered around Arequipa, which is very pretty. Cobbled streets, nice plaza and buildings and surrounded by 3 Volcanoes. Did lots of jobs and even made a cheeky little phone call home.
Went to a little cafe for tea and a little Peruvian boy took a fancy to toms back hair, stroking it through the chair as he chomped on his lasagne. Very amusing for me.

Day 54
Got picked up from the hostel early ready for our rafting adventure down the River Chile. Mega fun. We were the only people doing it so there were only 4 of us in the raft. Did some level 4 rapids (max 5) so it was pretty intense but we managed to stay on board.
Just waiting for our bus to Cusco tonight so going to have another wander round and maybe do some more shopping.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb