Huaraz and the Santa Cruz trek


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ancash » Huaraz
June 6th 2010
Published: June 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

day 1day 1day 1

the view on the way up to the drop of point on day 1
I arrived in Huaraz 2 hours late. Immediately I stepped out of the security of the bus station, I was surround by 5 taxi drivers touting for business of hostels or tours (much to the amusment of some locals standing close-by). After saying no thanks probably 5 times, I started to walk off pursued by one die-hard. He got the message eventually!

I decided to go on a 4 day/3 night trek hoping to see more of the mountains than a one day trip would have allowed. I booked with Galaxia Expeditions who turned out to be very well organised and the guide was excellent.

Day 1 On Sunday morning, an early start was needed at 6am as there was approx a 4 hour drive from Huaraz to the drop-off point where the walking would begin. After driving for about 2 hours, we left the main road at Yungay and picked up our cook. After driving uphill for another 2 hours, we arrived at the drop off point in Vaqueria.

The first day walking was relatively easy, only about 5 hours walking, some of which was downhill and through small villages. At each village we were greeted by a few local children, only too happy to pose for photos. Some held their hands out, and when given food by one of us, would hide the food before moving onto the next person! We obviously played along. About half-way through the walk, our porters passed us with the luggage laden donkeys on their way to the first campsite. By the time we arrived they had setup most of the campsite and had prepared some welcome Coca tea for us. At about 4000m, it felt quite cold already at 5pm.

After a meal, we were in bed by 8pm!

Day 2 - The next morning we were greeted by a rising sun providing great views of the snow capped mountains surrounding us. There was a thin frost on the outside of the tents - luckily the sleeping bags provided by the tour company were good enough to keep us warm.

This day proved to be the hardest day of the trek. We were walking up hill for probably 4 hours reaching the highest point of our trek at 4750m which was where we crossed through a pass to the other side of the mountain. At the top, as expected, it was was cold and quite windy. After a brief lunch, we began our walk down the mountain, which lasted around 2 hours. As we started, the wind picked up and it started to hail. The clouds blocked the sun periodically making it feel even colder. It was here that we saw what appeared to be a Condor. It was unfortunately not in sight for long enough to take a photo.

We finished in a valley next to the river where the porters had already setup camp and prepared some Coca tea for us. By the time we reached camp the hail had turned to rain but was light and didn't last for long. One of the group had brought a kite with him (not sure why) which was a replica of a X-wing fighter from Star Wars. We assembled the kite and spent about an hour flying it before it got dark.

Day 3 - We began with a trek up to the best view point we were going to get of Alpamayer which is considered to be the most beautiful/perfectly shaped mountain in the world. Unfortunately to see the ´best´side, we would have to
day 1day 1day 1

Sign for the day1 campsite
have done a 6 day trek but the views we had were good none the less.

After a photo taking session of Alpamayer, we began our walk down into the valley below where the terrain changed from mountainous and rocky to green vegetation. We lunched next to a lake and thanks to the fact the sun was shining strongly and that we were sheltered from the wind in a valley, we took advantage of this with a siesta in the sun for about an hour.

The day ended once again with camp next to the river and we had our final meal, celebrating the wedding anniversary of the couple on the trek who were from Lima.

We were in bed just after 8pm after admiring the stars in the sky which was completely clear of any of the orange light pollution found from living in towns/cities.

Day 4 - As usual, we were greeted at 6.30am with a cup of Coca tea brought to our tents by our guide.

The final day was short - only about 4 hours walking and all downhill.
We arrived at our finishing point in Coshapampa, and celebrated with a
Day 2Day 2Day 2

This is the view of one of the mountains taken at around 6.30am on the 2nd day as the sun rose
bottle of beer.

The drive back to Huaraz was pretty spectacular. We dropped our cook off in Yungay and after driving down mountain roads and around tight bends and along bumpy roads for about 3 hours, we arrived safely in Huaraz.

Returning to the hostel, a much needed good nights sleep was ruined by the local neighbours having yet another all night party. After that experience, I decided to either leave the hostel for another or leave Huaraz, as only thing keeping me in Huaraz was another trek.




Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

day 2day 2
day 2

the same mountain - about 30 mins later
day 2day 2
day 2

on the way to begin the climb to the pass
day 2day 2
day 2

a flower
day 2day 2
day 2

On the way to the pass
day 2day 2
day 2

one of the views on the way up to the pass
Day 2Day 2
Day 2

The porters with our camping gear as they caught us on the way up to the highest point we were to reach on day 2 - 4750m
day 2day 2
day 2

we finally reached the highest point of the trek after over 4hrs walking
day 2day 2
day 2

one of the views on the way down from the pass on day 2. Shortly after taking this it started to sleet.
day 3day 3
day 3

the campsite we used on day 2 - taken on the morning of day 3
day 3day 3
day 3

on our way towards Alpamayer
day 3day 3
day 3

on our way towards Alpamayer
day 3day 3
day 3

on our way towards Alpamayer
day 3day 3
day 3

on our way towards Alpamayer
day 3day 3
day 3

on our way towards Alpamayer


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb