Last day in Huaraz


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Ancash » Huaraz » Huascaran National Park
October 8th 2008
Published: October 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

All is well here in Huaraz! I recovered from my stomach bug which I feel came about from eating grilled pig in the outdoor market- not a good idea- no "iron stomach" here. Just could not resist- everyone is so friendly and wants you to try their local food.

Today we biked from Huaraz to 12,500 ft through some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. From an arid grassland to the base of the glaciers in Huascuran National Park. It was full of life-Peruvians washing clothes, bathing and fishing in the streams, sheep/cattle herders (shepherds) tending to their animals, the building of houses and the continued friendly waves that we have received from everyone. It is hard to capture the imagery here and the simplicity. People in these more remote areas farm with cattle and a pull behind plow- the way they have lived since they settled here.

Tomorrow we set off for Recuay by bike to stay there for one night, then off the next morning to bike through a 16,000ft pass to Aija. We may stay here or move on down to Huarmey which is on the ocean. It depends on how fast we are moving or how badly the pass hurts us.

From there we take a bus to Lima and hopefully catch a flight to Cusco with my honey...

Gotta run- our hotel locks us out after 10...

Adios

JJ

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb