Amazon Adventure


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Amazonas » Chachapoyas
April 21st 2012
Published: April 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

After our gruelling Spanish lessons we flew to the Amazon for a ´rest'! we flew to the Amazon town of Iquitos and upon our arrival at the airport we heard a man shouting Panayi....... it was our jungle guide who gave us a warm welcome upon arrival... we were taken to our hotel and spent the first night exploring Iquitos town. The following morning we met our Amazon jungle guide Wilson who seemed friendly at first but soon started to say comments bordering on inappropriate! we boarded our boat and luck was not on our side as it became terrential downpour getting to our jungle lodge! we ended up getting completely drenched...and Wilson even offered to hold up a cover the entire time to protect us from the rain.. how sweet! we arrived at the lodge to see that it was completely flooded around our rooms! we thought it looked pretty cool though! our lodge was true jungle style, we had mosquito nets as walls, there was no electricity in the room and the sounds of nature echoed in the room. After we settled in we were called to lunch by loud Amazon drums!...you couldnt miss the sound even if you were far away from the dining room. after lunch we boarded a canoe and were taken to see some tropical wildlife. We were welcomed by plenty of monkeys which started jumping on our boat and on our laps! the guide then brought out a huge anaconda which mel ran away from and quite an ugly looking prehistoric turtle. We were given some sugar cane rum to try which was delicious if you were quick enough to drink it before the monkeys snatched it out of your hands and started downing it!! Afterwards we rode along the Amazon river in search of pink dolphins and after some serious looking we spotted one in the river, very amazing to see 😊 That evening after dinner and in the pitch black dark our jungle guide took us out on the canoes to hear the sounds of the jungle...it was very cool except the mosquitos had a field day and ate us alive!!

The next day we went to a traditional village and visited a local Amazonian tribe. We were greeted by the head of the tribe who was dressed in a hay outfit and local (topless) woman which me and mel found very wierd, especially after we found out that they do wear normal clothes and being topless is just for tourists, very sad! because our guide especially liked me and Mel we got special treatment which worked in our favour because we got taken to see the houses where the local people lived, we got to see them barbecuing fish from what they had caught in the river. the experience felt a bit like we were in a set of the jungle book, especially because we got to see Mowgli...a young local boy dressed in nothing but red pants! too cute!! After lunch our guide took us on a jungle trek through the tertiary part of the Amazon rainforest. The guide even carried round his own machete and had a pink bandana on! he certainly looked the part!! we got to see some more traditional Amazonian families and even a sloth...the wierdest animal ive ever seen and who moves at 1mph! if you´ve not heard of a sloth before google it! theyre very cute but soo strange! our guide used his machete to cut of some of the local fruits off the trees which we got to sample and some leaves which he made us girls wear on our heads and named us his Amazonian princesses (bleugh!)

Our last day we got to go fishing in the Amazon river. we all had our wooden sticks and nylon string and we started fishing for pirahnas. as cool as it was me and mel unfortunately got bored quite quickly and we were getting told off a few times from Wilson for not catching any fish, but mel got close to catching two so that was good enough!! and then sadly our Amazon adventure came to end... it was an amazing experience, one we recommend! and we were even happier that the food we had here was some of the best in South America 😊

It was time to say goodbye to Peru and to the West Side of South America...Next stop Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!



x h

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb