Paraguay


Advertisement
Paraguay's flag
South America » Paraguay
August 12th 2006
Published: November 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to ParaguayWelcome to ParaguayWelcome to Paraguay

where the private security forces get pistol grip pump shotguns
Paraguay, the land of disparities, where you either drive a bulletproof benz or you´re hoping the river doesn´t flood too early this year and expedite the washing away of your house...surprisingly expensive place for travelers, as you tend to get lumped in with the first group of people, who, despite the exchange rate, would probably not have much trouble living a lot better than most in the US. Definately the most number of large firearms seen on the streets so far, which would give the impression that there is a lot of crime to be defended against, but i personally felt much safer in Paraguay than many other places. I guess in a country run by the mafia, robbing tourists is small fries and just brings unwanted attention on the real money makers..smuggling, money laundering, trafficking and wantonly exploiting your countries natural resources to foreign syndicates. Despite things such as the fact that 14 families control the majority of the country´s wealth, i did get a feeling of optimism (rare in SA) from the people there, as theyve recently got a new president who´s not so linked to the old guard and the increased political activism by the people which can be seen in the large number of recently started public works projects, which look like theyd been put off for ohhh about 50 years. In addition to Asuncion, i visited Encarnacion and Ciudad del Este (the most corrupt city in the americas, point of billions of goods smuggled) both of which off the route places i really enjoyed. Oh yeah and if youre there be sure and visit the casinos, im pretty sure theyre laundering money and consequently its very difficult to lose at the blackjack tables...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Oops..Oops..
Oops..

the old part of encarnacion is slowly flooding out thanks to the new dam...
the marketthe market
the market

encarnacion
oldest building in paraguayoldest building in paraguay
oldest building in paraguay

house of independence, asuncion
Whatchu lookin´at??Whatchu lookin´at??
Whatchu lookin´at??

shady moneychangers, bus station, asuncion
military monumentmilitary monument
military monument

celebrating Paraguay´s glorious military history...? (theyve lost all but one war, shedding 2/3 of their territory in the process)


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb