Pilar/Cerrito


Advertisement
Paraguay's flag
South America » Paraguay » Pilar
April 1st 2006
Published: April 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sunset over the Rio ParaguaySunset over the Rio ParaguaySunset over the Rio Paraguay

Taken in Pilar. The other side of the river is Argentina.
Pilar is where Paul works as a Peace Corps Volunteer. It is a nice little town, the capital actually of the Ñeembucú department (a political unit similar to a state). There is a museum there dedicated to the War of the Triple Alliance (when Paraguay fought Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, although the latter was at that time a puppet of Brazil). There are also sculptures, mostly of birds, on the streets. Pilar’s largest employer is the textile factory located on the Paraguay River.

Cerrito is a smaller town about 3 hours from Pilar. It is located along the Paraná River. It features a beach (with cows), a hill, a one building naval base, giant frogs, the world’s most vicious dog and half of the mosquitoes in South America. The bus from Cerrito back to Pilar leaves at 3:00AM, but that didn’t stop the world’s most vicious dog from getting up to bark his head off as we left.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Church in PilarThe Church in Pilar
The Church in Pilar

This is where Paul and Rosa plan to get married. I took the photo on April 1st, the date originally set for their wedding.
Fishing on the Rio ParanáFishing on the Rio Paraná
Fishing on the Rio Paraná

The bad news is that we didn't catch anything. The good news is that nothing caught us either (there are Piranhas in this river).
BoatBoat
Boat

We took this to an island in the Paraná River.


16th May 2006

CERTAINLY HAVE ENJOYED YOUR TRAVEL BLOG. I AM MARYS SISTER, I WENT TO THE WEDDING WITH HER. BYE, BYE

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb