Out of the Amazon


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
September 8th 2012
Published: July 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -1.37865, -75.8716

Life in the jungle is simple - especially when we are being looked after so well at the Napo Wildlife Centre and our mission is to see wildlife. During lunch one day, Ryan - the visiting filmmaker - excitedly pointed out the river otters fishing in the lake while a 15-foot long caiman hovered around looking awfully hungry.

A visit to two local clay licks demonstrated a frenzy of hundreds of parrot and parakeets scrambling to ingest clay (that helps them to process the toxins from the seeds they eat) while not getting eaten themselves by any number of predators. The scenes were fascinating. Our evening canoe to see more otters and, once dark, the shimmering red eyes of the baby caimen was beyond description.

We were fortunate during our Amazon stay - we saw 7 of the 10 species of monkeys in the area plus many birds, reptiles and insects - thanks to the skill of our guides.

On our way out Friday morning at 6:00am, as our guides paddled our small group out, I was struck by the beauty of one of the most diverse biospheres in the world. As we sat in silence listening to the sounds of the forest, sunbeams made their way through the thick canopy to spotlight the water on which we floated. Will we be able to, as a human collective, maintain and preserve those parts of our earth that are so rich and fragile?



Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



13th September 2012

I wish I was THERE... ;-)
13th September 2012

I am SO enjoying your blog! I feel as if I'm travelling along with you.
13th September 2012

Amazing pictures. Captures the feeLing and heart beat of your trulyAdventure.. The pulse and rythum is something that u have encompassedAnd embraced. Felt like I am right there with u guys. Enjoy its magicLove Jojoxoxo
13th September 2012

Your photos are inspiring me to get a new camera and take lessons. Wow - National Geographic will be knocking on your door. Nice partnering of photos and writing, you two.
13th September 2012

Honestly these pictures bring tears to my eyes! They are so stunning. Thanks for sharing them and thanks for your words give even more understanding of what it's like to be there. Good times.....
13th September 2012

Every picture I looked at I found myself oohing and aahing over - so beautiful! Donna, your words are so descriptive - it's magic!
13th September 2012

Thank you so much for the vivid descriptions and breath-taking photos. You both have a knack! And we wish you were here, too!!!
13th September 2012

Good question Donna. We all need to work hard to preserve this beautiful world. It looks like a perfect match....writer and photographer collaboration. Beautiful photos Jim!
13th September 2012

Your pictures are INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
13th September 2012

COOL!
13th September 2012

Wow!
13th September 2012

Great pic!
13th September 2012

Gorgeous!
14th September 2012

Amazing photos Donna & Jim! They are mesmerizing...Looking forward to more this year!
14th September 2012

Fabulous photos. You should be syndicating these with the Chronicle Herald.
15th September 2012

Why isn't Jim working for National Geograpgic. His pictures are breath taking.
16th September 2012

Hi Donna. I'm so happy you made it to Napo. Looks like you had an AMAZING experience there! Great weather and your pics are beautiful. Looks like you saw more of the river otters than we did. We only saw them once. Did you go swimming
? I think one of my favorite things were the leaf cutter ants. I thought the bullet ants were kind of cool too in a super scary kind of way. Can hardly wait to see more.
19th September 2012

Totally enjoying following you in your adventure. Keep the pics and stories coming. Happy Travels!!
20th September 2012

We did NOT go swimming at Napo Wildlife Center as it is now forbidden due to the increase in numbers and size of the caiman in the lake. They told us it was very unsafe to swim so we didn't even think about it.
22nd September 2012

Tony and I just spent 45 minutes looking at your blog and Photos WOW WOW WOW simply spectacular Jim you give National Geographic photographers a run for their money. You most certainly need to submit these photos. We love sharing this awe
some experience with you guys Thanks a Million xoxoxo
23rd September 2012

Amazing, what beautiful photos and yet again, another adventure, you both are inspirational. I hope you are pausing every now and then and going WTF? AND hugging and kissing each other:)Cheers
10th October 2012

Donna you sit in silence?

Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb