Completing our Galapagos Entry


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
September 2nd 2012
Published: July 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -0.759999, -90.33

Well, we sure hope we don't get behind in our blog entries too often because trying to remember all that has happened during these action-packed days becomes difficult for a couple of old fogies like us!

We spent our last few days in Galapagos piling one experience upon another including kayaking and our last hours on Isla Isabella snorkelling amongst a large group of 30 or so sea turtles. The water was a touch warmer (although still not warm) which made it that much more enjoyable. We packed up our gear, took a boat over to another part of the harbour and walked a trail of lava rock with more iguanas, sea lions and white tipped sharks than you could imagine seeing in one place.

After lunch, our group of 16 loaded into our boat which was curiously named 'Under Take I' - not a name that brings confidence in a journey across open Pacific ocean! However, as before, the boat and crew got us safely to Santa Cruz after 2.5 hours on fairly rough seas. Thank the gods for motion sickness pills.

We checked into our hotel, took a short walk to another Charles Darwin center and saw, yet more, tortoises. Jim and I explored the town of Puerto Ayora and ate our dinner in the food stalls area - our first meal without the group in 7 days. Can you imagine - especially Jim who is not so likely to be in a group for such a long amount of time?!

Our last day on the islands concluded with a trip to the highlands and, yes, more tortoises and a hike and swim in the surf. As a final activity, during a hopping evening in town, our group took a ride on a brightly lit caterpillar-thing that drove throughout the town.

We returned to Quito on Sunday and were on the road again early Monday morning. Amazon, here we come!



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



10th September 2012

Jim must be in his glory photographing such amazing marine life ,awesome pictures. looks like you guys are having an amazing time. Thanks for the updates, we love looking at the photos and blog entries.
10th September 2012

Fabulous pictures!! What a sensational trip you are on - and it's just the beginning! Loving the blogs and pics - keep 'em coming!
10th September 2012

Love the pictures and commentaries. Appreciating the time you are taking to include us in your journey!
10th September 2012

Yes, I echo all your friends' comments - fabulous pictures, Jim and great writing, Donna. And thanks, too, for taking the time to bring us along. What an adventure....look forward to the next installment. And love this blogging site.
10th September 2012

Absolutely stunning pictures Jim! Hard to believe we were all there only a week ago. Can't wait to read about the rest of your adventures!
10th September 2012

I can't believe the beautiful colouring!
10th September 2012

Spectacular photo - so enjoying your blog and living your adventures vicariously! xo
10th September 2012

More enjoyable than National Geographic! Love your blog!
10th September 2012

Come here little ones, we've cornered dinner
11th September 2012

All the photos are appreciated, many stunning and evocative, this one takes me there! Enjoy!
11th September 2012

OK OK I give up photography!
12th September 2012

I'm appreciating technology more and more! Coming along on your blog is amazing: to know how much fun you are having, and taking the time to share it with friends and family.....and I get to travel free! Thanks....can't wait for the next in
stallment.
12th September 2012

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0162s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb