Impromptu travelling...


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
February 2nd 2007
Published: February 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had the car packed and readied by mid-morning. Having the luxury of a car we packed it to the brim with mattresses, blankets and even a stereo. Our plan (Gab, her sister Caro and me) was to head to Gab’s country property, a small log cabin in the Ecuadorian countryside, before venturing down to Riobamba, home of the infamous Nariz del Diablo (Devil´s Nose) train ride.

The country was, as it always is, beautiful. On this pocket of land, only an hour from the hustle of Quito, one can find tranquility amongst the whispered winds and soft rolling hills. The log cabin is as romantic and ideal as you can imagine, an idyllic place to kick back with friends.
I had heard a lot about Ecuador’s famous train ride and was keen at the prospect of riding rooftop through the Andean mountains. We awoke early and joined the throng of tourists waiting on the platform. The morning rain did little to deter most people’s enthusiasm, although heavy cloud did make the prospect of seeing Ecuador’s highest peak, Chimborazo, a slender one (we didn’t see it😊. The train’s arrival shattered the dawn silence and we climbed up to the roof. The next few hours were brilliant, snaking our way through small villages nestled high in the mountains, across thundering rivers and chasing competitive dogs down the muddy tracks. However, we never made it to the famed rock ¨nose¨ due to a landslide the night before. This was a blessing, however, as on our hike out from the train we passed through a village where a group of local kids challenged us to ¨Ecu-volley,¨ the national version of volleyball. With two Pommie friends I met on the train, we proceeded to get annihilated in front of nearly 200 enthralled, laughing locals.

So ended our journey. Or so we thought. Driving back we decided that with an open schedule and a car at our disposal we’d take advantage and hit the road. What followed was eight days more, travelling first to Cuenca, a town of true colonial grandeur. With its´ narrow cobblestone streets, beautiful architecture and welcoming people, Cuenca soon became one of my favourite Ecuadorian cities. And just outside of Cuenca is the Parque Nacional Cajas, a majestic and mysterious landscape of rocky outcrops, scattered waterfalls and fresh water lakes.
The next week or so were spent coastal, cruising west to the party town of Montañita, where travellers follow the tourist code: drink and dance until dawn, awake for an afternoon swim and repeat. Venturing north we spent time at Canoa and Atacames before returning to Quito, tanned, tired but invigorated.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



13th March 2007

In awe
Hi Dale. Dad has been sending me all your travel news. Am in awe of where you are going and where you have been, but also of your ability to capture it all in words and pictures. You are doing a fabulous job of ensuring we all travel with you. You should be so proud of yourself. I know I am proud of you. Stay safe, luv Judi and family. x

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0729s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb