Do it for the Family


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador
January 21st 2020
Published: January 21st 2020
Edit Blog Post

This past Sunday, our host mama took the bus around 8 to her daughter, Anita's house, which is in the countryside and about 1 hour away. Around 11, after our host papa picked up some groceries, Ally, our host papa, and I walked up the road to their other daughter's apartment. We joined their daughter Carla, along with her husband their two sons Martín and Alejandro, in the car for a tight hour long drive to Anita's. Soon after arriving and being greeted by Anita and her two sons, Emilio and Juan Ignacio, our host mama asked to join in on a game of soccer with the grandchildren and her son-in-law. We spent a good while playing soccer until lunch was ready. When we ate lunch, the adults all sat together, and the grandchildren had their own table, which reminded me of my own family gatherings, especially when I was younger. After lunch was cleaned up, we rested on the porch while the grandchildren continued to run around. After eating some snacks and ice cream, our host mama wanted us to play with the grandchildren more so she brought out a rope and had us briefly play tug-of-war, jump rope, and then wanted us to play soccer again, so we did. We spent from about 11 to 4:30 with the family between traveling an hour each way tightly packed, and spending time with them. It is clear how relationally driven the culture is because this is not uncommon for the family to travel and spend time together like this. Anita, her husband, and their two sons were over a few nights ago as well with Carla and her two sons. The culture is collectivist based and it is clearly demonstrated in our host family in all they do for one another on a daily basis. Our host family's grandsons that are local are over often after school until their mom can pick them up.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb