Whale of a time


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Puerto López
September 28th 2007
Published: September 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

WhalesWhalesWhales

first glimse of the whales off Puerto Lopez
after a very bumpy ride for two and a half hours from Manta on a local bus $3 we arrived in lovely beach town of Puerto Lopez. We have checked into a hostel unknown to us (very brave) and then promptly went off on a whale watching extravaganza. We saw three whales travelling together at really close range.

Apparently here there are no worries about getting too close or scaring the whales. Anywhere else in the world and you´re not allowed to get this close but these Ecuadorians are more interested in earning a quick buck than looking out for the whales.

It really was amazing though, we set off in a little tiny boat just 5 of us and the skipper and literally drove for about 3 hours straight out to see before spotting the tell tale spurts of water.

There was a mummy whale and her baby along with one other we think was a juvenile. They are so graceful and elegant. Each time they surfaced if was in perfect symmetry. Our boat was right next to them for a good while.

Some folk opted to snorkel in the bay when we arrived back to shore but having had the luxery of the Galapagos, I didn´t think the visibility was good enough and the sun wasn´t shining either. Becoming a snorkelling snob ha ha !!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

FinsFins
Fins

they are so elegant and beautiful
PelicansPelicans
Pelicans

and the fishing boats in Puerto Lopez
FinsFins
Fins

amazing creatures making waves


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb