Surfs Up! Montañita and the Ecuadorian Coast


Advertisement
South America » Ecuador » West » Montañita
February 9th 2006
Published: February 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Pacific coast... What can I say? It´s gorgeous, just like the rest of this country. Our (Myself, Huns + Mike) over-night bus ride from Quito to the coast was quite an experience. After setting off in a rainstorm, we crawled at 30km/hr through dense fog down 3000m of tiny roads... Occasionally passing ditched busses and trucks (some on the side of the road, others lying further down in gorges)... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Puerto LopezPuerto Lopez
Puerto Lopez

Lil' crab!
Parque Nacional MachilillaParque Nacional Machililla
Parque Nacional Machililla

I don't know how many times I saw this bird before finally getting a half-decent photo of it. It was only inches from my head so many times, but this was the most close up I could get with a camera.
Puerto LopezPuerto Lopez
Puerto Lopez

You can clearly see why people built a town in this location. I was so ignorant about swimming in the ocean that I decided to paddle myself past the break while swimming one night down on the beach. Only I didn't realize how the undertow acts on a crescent-shaped bay. There's so much more water being forced in than could possibly wash out evenly, making for a really heavy undertow. I guess that's why I found myself completely alone past the break! Anyway, here's to not drowning.
Puerto LopezPuerto Lopez
Puerto Lopez

This was the lookout I hiked up to one day. A real nice Ecuadorian family I met there offered for me to tag along their day trip all along the coast that day.
Puerto LopezPuerto Lopez
Puerto Lopez

Hitchin' Ecuador style. Most of the time I hitch-hiked was on the roof of trucks.
Puerto LopezPuerto Lopez
Puerto Lopez

...Where the best view is.
Somewhere On The CoastSomewhere On The Coast
Somewhere On The Coast

They brought me with them all the way to this natural swimming pool (not the stagnant pool you see in front, but the nice one, just past the donkey) for a dip and some watermelon straight from the patch just a few metres away.
KamalaKamala
Kamala

Back to sunsets...
KamalaKamala
Kamala

The simply awful conditions we were forced to exist in... We had this place almost entirely to ourselves, except, of course, the night 800 other people came for a beach rave. Sunset of said-night with Mike, predictably, enjoying Ecuador's plant-life. Also Robyn (a Swiss guy I travelled with) and a super-friendly Belgian couple.
KamalaKamala
Kamala

OK, CLEARLY, somebody had too much time on their hands. Although I guess that's almost everybody in this country (...continent), for that matter.
KamalaKamala
Kamala

WAY too much time! But I definitely thought it was funny enough for a picture. And NO, I didn't have anything to do with making these sand sculptures. I was too busy with Mike studying the local plants.
KamalaKamala
Kamala

Finallly, the big party. I wish I could explain this picture, but, well nothing made sense that night, or morning. Did I even take this photo? I remember one guy claiming to have known me from the previous weekend ruckus: "You ever tried E? Really? I'll FIND YOU later..."
KamalaKamala
Kamala

Paying for it the next morning. (ok afternoon.)



21st February 2006

Hi...i hae been three years in Montanita. You have made some nice shot! are you still there? Shalom to everyone.... bye bye

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0431s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb