Pleasant surprise in the city


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Guayaquil
March 18th 2013
Published: March 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

2nd round Guayaquil, Ecuador

After surviving planes, taxis, a ferry, and buses we arrived in another section in the city of Guayaquil, Ecuador. We arranged a home stay for 2nights and did not know what to expect. This part of the city is rougher, away from the touristy areas, but no more dangerous than any big city. The home stay people were a lovely surprise, Patricia and Homero. They spoke little English, but are learning, just like we are learning Spanish.



It's funny how home decor can reflect people's personas. This home was full of eclectic art, classic literature, and a sense of warmth. As we got to know our hosts over 2 days (with very funny broken intertwined languages) we discovered they were as kind and as warm as their surroundings. It's corny, but if we were to define "good people" Patricia and Homero would be it. This couple worked so hard and lived in a place where bars and electric wiring around the home was a must for safety; and they were the most loving, kind, generous, affectionate, humorous, and open people.



The first night we obviously looked tired and they invited us to have dinner with them. There were only a few potatoes, a tomato, and pepper in the fridge. Patricia made a delicious meal and we all had a plate. Glen and I assumed we'd have to pay extra but they refused any money (we were becoming used to paying for any extras). The dinner was a good time. We met another man from India, his name was Manu, who was staying at their place for a few months. Glen it seems found a new band, with a pan flutist (Homero) and accordion player (Manu) in the house!

Manu and Homero had this ritual every night to speak in their own language, and learn from each other via body language and wild hand gestures! It was amazing that we could weave through conversations about music, art, environment issues, and even autism (via a Big Bang episode that happened to be on tv). We also took a little walk around the neighbourhood, got some bananas and yuca bread (gluten free), and had a good lunch special for $1.75 each (soup, rice, salad, meat)! We would go to sleep amongst city sounds, with a dash of salsa music, and a heavy dose of men getting excited by a football (soccer) game at the next door bar.



The morning we left, Patricia made us grilled cheese sandwiches, coffee, tea, and negotiated a local taxi price to the airport for us. Homero even called by phone to say goodbye to us. We were truly moved by their genuine, loving spirit toward us - mere strangers passing through their country. I think we'll always remember Patricia and Homero from Guayaquil.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



19th March 2013

new friends
Hello Glen & Rosalyn; Sounds like you befriended a very special couple in Patricia & Humero. They are the epitome of proof that it's not how much you have but how you share it with others that reveals what kind of person you are! I think you were very fortunate to have met them. I enjoyed chatting with you two this evening. Stay safe, Love you both, Mom & Dad xo

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb