Heading Home from the Flood Zone Day 4


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Guayaquil
March 28th 2008
Published: March 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Friday morning we received a phone call from Karla, and she invited us to her university in Guaranda. We stopped by and got a tour the school (public university) - I liked it better than mine because it had normal people. Karla’s mother works there so we stopped to talk with her. As soon as the ladies of the office saw us they ran out into the hallway and set up chairs so that we could all chat. Most of the ladies were between 40 and 60, and they LOVED Richard and Howard. They told Richard that he was better looking than Superman and they called Richard “crusty” in English. It took us a while to figure out that they were calling him “Crusty” - a clown from the Simpson’s. Once I described what we thought they were saying they were embarrassed. All fun and games when communicating between languages.

Afterwards, Karla and her mom took us to a park where Howard was able to put the moves on Karla’s mom. A reminder, Howard is 80 years old! I ran up this big slide to demonstrate my manliness only to be showed up by Howard. The damn old guy sprinted up the slide faster than I did! Shortly after we had to be on our way back to Quito.

The drive from Guaranda to Ambato was by far the most beautiful drive I have ever seen. As we drove down through the mountain curves we passed several volcanoes, including Chimborazo. The summit of Chimborazo is the closest point to the sun due to the ballistics of the Earth’s rotation. In other words, it was a damn big volcano. It has a diameter of 20 km and a height of 6,300 meters. Due to the clouds that day, my pictures only captured about half of it. As we passed through Ambato, we caught an amazing view of the erupting volcano Tungurahua. No clouds were blocking that one!

We made it home safely with a lot of good stories, nicknames, and a wonderful new friendship between “Howie”, “Superman”, and me.



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ParkPark
Park

Howard was hitting on Karla's mom
ParkPark
Park

Sexy Man Jonah demonstrates manliness by climbing up slide.
Howard showing offHoward showing off
Howard showing off

He actually sprinted up the slide.
Karla and HowardKarla and Howard
Karla and Howard

Howard was hitting on her too.
El Volcan ChimborazoEl Volcan Chimborazo
El Volcan Chimborazo

Earth´s closest point to the sun. You are only seeing half of it in the picture.


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb