Viviendo en Guayaquil


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Guayaquil
October 30th 2007
Published: November 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

El canalEl canalEl canal

Sorta smells like something died
I arrived in Guayaquil, Ecuador yesterday. The largest city in Ecuador, it holds about 2.5 million people. Guayaquil resembles what you may expect of a large 3rd world city; children peddling merchandise at stop lights, trash in the streets, stray dogs roaming about, worn down, poorly constructed buildings, a general haze of smog and an odd odor filling the air. The poverty of the area is very apparent. There are some nicer areas (parks, malls, a newly constructed riverfront area (the Melecon), fancy hotels, gated communities), but the majority is stricken with poverty. 70% of the people in Guayaquil are considered poor, families surviving on about $45 a week. I hear that there has been much improvement in the last decade to clean up the city and make it more tourist friendly. For instance, they've decorated the underpasses with colorful tile artwork and transformed the riverfront from a shady, drunken hangout, to a safe, romantic park. But these improvements are like putting a bandaid on a severed limb, only partially masking the serious underlying problems. As long as the distribution of wealth remains vastly uneven, the majority of wealth belonging to the minority of people, (5% of the population being rich)
Guitars and BumsGuitars and BumsGuitars and Bums

Taking a nap
the poor will continue to suffer. For them there seems to be little hope for a significant increase in their standard of living without major political and economic reform. But still, many people seem content with their lives, strong family bonds, friendship and people selflessly helping others offer glimpses of hope.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Go BananaGo Banana
Go Banana

Under the overpass
Una ParqueUna Parque
Una Parque

A park near where I'm living
CannonCannon
Cannon

Prepare for the attack, there are pirates on the horizon
magicmagic
magic

I'm in the Matrix


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb