Mangroves and hoochies


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » West » Canoa
January 21st 2007
Published: January 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Clases de Español are going great. Juan Carlos, our teacher, is great and very patient with us. We have been surfing every day between classes and the surf has been great. Malia´s longest rides ever! They are baby waves, but still very fun. Yesturday we (us, two canadians, and a dane) went on a canoe tour through Isla de Corezon. It´s a mangrove island containing the largest population of frigate birds on earth. They are the ones that puff up the red-balloon-like air sac on their chest to attract the ladies. What an awesome experience! The guide we hired, loaded us all up into his dug out canoe (made from one cedar log) and we headed across the bay/estuary toward the mangroves. Two people had to bail water the whole time to keep us from sinking. Yeah, it leaked pretty bad. We paddled through tunnels in the mangroves, popping out in clearings just full of birds. All sorts. Friggats (sp?), egrets, king fishers, and tons of others that were lost in translation. A completly magical place. Fortunatly this island is a preserve, however 80% of the mangroves here have been destroyed to create shrimp farms. People don´t have the luxury of hindsight when they´re trying to feed themselves.
Last night was crazy. Big saturday night in Canoa. We walked on down to town (2km) via the road, which at night is quite a spectacle. There were land crabs everywhere-some fortunate enough to reach their destination, most not. They became part of the pavement each time a car came wizzing by. People from the area flock to Canoa(a predominatly dirt road pueblita) on Saturday night to drink, dance, and party. What a crazy scene. The town is transformed into one huge block party- bars competing for ears with dance music (electronica, regatone, and salsa). Okay, our time is up for now. We´ll write later (and get pictures loaded soon- I promise). Chao.


Advertisement



25th January 2007

Somehow I missed this blog entry- must have found its' way to my spam box! I have a good visual of what Canoa must be like- sounds pretty entertaining!

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb