Happy Hot Christmas


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Vilcabamba
December 25th 2007
Published: January 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Good TimesGood TimesGood Times

Locals gather as a soundsystem is cranked up outside the church
Matt Writes -

As expected our Christmas would be unconventional this year to say the least.

After a dubious display of homemade fireworks from the local pyromaniac (obviously inspired by our street festival encounters in Banos), Christmas Eve was upon us and entertainment was provided by the local school's party games held in the main square. Consisting of teams of boy/girl holding a tomato together on their foreheads and dancing to music, then the fine art of pot smashing whilst blindfolded to get the contents of sweets and cookies. A bit like the Mexican pinata, but actually made from clay. Stand back when you smash. Pyromanic returned with some daytime bangers in case we hadn't had our fill the night before.

Christmas Day started nicely with a bucks fizz accompanied breakfast with great views from the terrace. A Christmas dinner was put on for all the guests with the Brits gravitating towards one endof the table, making napkin hats to replicate the missing cracker hats. Everyone soon wanted one.

We entered into the hostal's Christmas triathlon of darts, pool and ping pong, but by this time the alcohol was having serious effects on hand/eye co-ordination and neither
Cute KidsCute KidsCute Kids

They just loved the camera. Vilcabamba main square
of us and our respective teams reached the final. We shunted on into the wee hours in an anglo/american/australian diplomatic convention although I doubt very much any of the policies that were discussed would ever be passed, let alone understood if unleashed unto the sober masses. Merry Christmas indeed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

WrappinghoodWrappinghood
Wrappinghood

Wrapping some pressies for the local children
Smack me Pot upSmack me Pot up
Smack me Pot up

Local kids go ape for sweet filled pots
Where's the rum?Where's the rum?
Where's the rum?

Jack Sparrow lookalike from Australia, well after an evening\'s drinking we though so.


Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb