Yungilla Orphanage - Dec 13, 2014


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
December 26th 2014
Published: December 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Well, this is a little out of date, but it was a great day. We left home about 7:30 and went to Michael and Jenny's house to pray before leaving for the orphanage.

We took a very nice bus ride for about an hour into the Yungilla Valley. You just tell the driver or the money taker that you want to get off at the orpahange and they pull to the side of the road to let you out. $1.50 per person.

On the ride down we saw a bunch of motorcycles pass by including one person dress as Santa Claus/Papa Noel. Then we passed them at a roadside store where they had stopped for a drink.

We got to the orphanage and Michael and Jenny gave us a tour of the facility. This orphanage is for adults but they are children mentally. Some of them only come Monday through Friday, because the parents are working and then go home for the weekend. The other 'kids' who are there full time have basically been dumped off at the orphanage. The parents don't want the responsibility of taking care of them.

As we came back to the general area we saw all the bikers, who had brought cake and ice cream for the 'kids'. When we asked a couple of them to turn around so we could get a picture of their vests, one of them 'growled' "Hell's Angels". Yeah, Hell;s Angels that take time to make a group of mentally handicapped adults feel good.

When we left, we just went out to the road and flagged down another bus to go back to Cuenca. This one was air conditioned, with airline type seats, but with more leg room and it was still only $1.50.


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb