We Must Spend Two Days in Cuenca!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
March 25th 2005
Published: August 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We must spend two days in Cuenca



Lisa, the Kumuka guide had been adament that Cuenca needed a full two days, and we had altered the proposed itinerary in Peru to make sure we had an extra day up our sleeves for just that purpose.

Arrival


So far today we had done a temporary repair when an accellerator spring had snapped, and it was impossible to rev the engine. We also put a bit of grease into the pivots and hinges which had not seen grease for some time. By the time this was fixed, Mark was not only relieved had not having got us stuck without accommodation, Fran was apparently quite a lot easier to drive.

It was Good Friday, and we were arriving late in the afternoon. I'm not sure whether this was a good thing or not. It was already evident that Lisa couldn't navigate in towns, and wasn't all that great outside of them either, just that the options for getting it wrong were fewer. So it was no surprise when Mark had to turn around and retrack his path a couple of kilimetres.

Hats, Cats and Cathedrals



Spent most of Saturday morning at a local panama hat factory. Found a nice one and got it fitted.

Walked around about a dozen churches - who goes to them all?

Easter and Gualaceo



Cuenca is a good Catholic town. I suspect it is closed most Sundays. It was completely closed on Easter Sunday.

I went with Barbara to Gualaceo by local bus. Great trip, great market, got some yarn for Elaine.

Visited more cathedrals on way back, and bought a poncho for Theresa.

I'm so glad we spent two days here - even if we didn't use the second one to see Cuenca. Thanks Lisa!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.262s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.071s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb