Quito meets Cuenca


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » South » Cuenca
April 13th 2007
Published: April 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Friday the 13th today which made no sense to our family when we tried to explain the superstition. A lot of stuff doesn't actually - I tried to explain that our traditional Easter food (after having tried their Fanesca which is totally foul) is chocolate eggs and they found it hilarious! I don't see anything funny about it - they have enough Kinder eggs here.

Anyway, the girls from Quito turned up late last night so we went to meet them at El Cafecito in the morning. Claire, Tamsin and Georgia were there. Caroline and Emma were in the Galapagos and Imogen and Sarah had to stay behind for the day as Sarah's mum had entered her in a beauty pageant! Only in Ecuador! She won actually although it can't be too hard here if you're the only blond for miles!

Anyway, we rounded them up, went to meet the others and went to Angelus for ice cream even though it was morning and then went into the Cathedral next door to see it properly this time without mass. After, we walked down to the river stopping off at a market where I managed to buy six scarves for $10 - at that price how can you argue! We spent a chilled day relaxing in the park before going back to Cafecito for a late lunch where we met another Sophie - this one from Holland who had been travelling around Columbia by herself for the last month!

Still, went home briefly before meeting the Quito girls again and going out for dinner. Cuenca is dead at the moment because there is a drinking ban due to the elections this weekend so practically all the bars were closed. Went to Monday Blue for Mexican before going home at ten.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Ice cream time at AngelusIce cream time at Angelus
Ice cream time at Angelus

Sophie, Jack, Sophie, Lou and Claire
All of us together again!All of us together again!
All of us together again!

Jack, Tamsin, Claire, Georgia, Lou, Sophie and Bel


18th April 2007

shopping bargains
Yes Katherine, who can argue with six scarves for $10! Only thing is you've already bought some scarves and I recall a bundle of Indian pashminas and Egyptian shawls sitting in your wardrobe back home..... but absolutely, who can argue with six more?!!!
18th April 2007

What church again?
Now how did you manage to get stuck in church when you were just visiting the pretty building! These nuns can be very persuasive!

Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 26; qc: 143; dbt: 0.1536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb