Gruesome Paintings at the Monastery


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
July 25th 2007
Published: November 30th -0001
Edit Blog Post

An interesting night in our four bed dorm, as one of the girls' arrived back late and tripped over and made the entire locker contents go flying! Awoke early as the USA girl got up - light sleepers! Then we were shown some fantastic pictures by one of our dorm mates, of her encounter swimming underwater with sea lions. She said that it was one of her best experiences yet.

Had delicious banana pancakes and more passion fruit juice, this is the life. Did a few routine jobs and booked our bus tickets after eventually finding the bus station, going around in circles! Then we tried out a vegetarian restaurant in the heart of Quito, and selected the cheapest three course set menu, which included veggie lasagna. This satisfied our hunger pangs and reminded us of all the food that we had missed from back home. Then fortunately we were able to change rooms to a double, so hopefully better nights' sleep tonight!

Then we decided to take a taxi down to the old town. As we jumped in the taxi, the rain started to fall, so on arrival we had to dodge in and out of shelters as
Quito old TownQuito old TownQuito old Town

Views from the Bell tower
we wandered around the old square. The old city had many colonial buildings providing an ambiance of grandeur and ornate architecture, a very pretty city. The city sits within a spectacular Andean valley, flanked by beautiful volcanic peaks, and in the distance La Virgin de Quito visible. Lots of elegant balconies, archways and even tourist signs. The first city yet on our tour of South America to provide signage for tourists.

The old city had an air of affluence, lots of businessmen, however still amongst the hustle and bustle many working class carrying out their daily routines, and women carry huge loads in bright colourful woven blankets. We noticed an argument taking place in the middle of the road, involving a taxi and a lady hitting a man with a broom! The area seemed heavily policed, increasing the safety of the city.

First we decided to have a look inside the San Francisco monastery, lots of building restoration work taking place though! Very beautiful ornate ceilings and lots of gold detail. The city's oldest church built from 1534 to 1600, however part of the church has been rebuilt due to earthquake damage. The alter being particularly impressive, displaying baroque carving. When we returned outside we were bombarded by shoe shining boys, offering to polish our flip flops, decided to pass on this surprisingly!

Then as the rain got heavier, we decided to have a tour around the Santa Catelina monastery. We had our own Spanish guide, and tried to translate as much as possible. The monastery is still used by the nuns today. We saw their sleeping quarters, beautiful formal herb gardens and at the main entrance they sold handmade crafts and lotions. The monastery only opened to the public since 2005, & it was founded in 1592. Some very gruesome pictures though, 18th century religious paintings, and lots of clothing and instruments on display from bygone eras. Excellent views from the bell tower of Quito and the mountainous backdrop of Volcan Pichincha, slightly dangerous though - the norm around these parts!

Then the persistent rain and thunder began, giving a slightly haunted atmosphere! We decided to take a taxi back to the new town. Lots of posh buildings on the way in the more exclusive areas, such a contrast between the old and new town. Used the internet for a short while, and then decided to go back for happy hour! Had a local mulled wine drink, our favourite chocolate cookies, cake and nachos - not particularly healthy, but making up for the last few days of a very limited diet on the buses - mainly consisting of crisps! Really impressed by Quito, in particular the old town, which you really cannot do justice in just one day. Then hit our beds, excited about tomorrow, our trip to the renowned Galapagos Islands - a must see!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0182s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb