Quito, Ecuador


Advertisement
South America » Ecuador » North » Quito
January 10th 2019
Published: January 10th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our first real foray into South America begins in Quito. We have a very comfortable, inexpensive Airbnb here for 6 weeks. As we did in Malaga last year, we plan to use Quito as our home base to take side trips to various sights in Equator. Next up, Galapagos Islands.... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

OrchidsOrchids
Orchids

Two greenhouses displayed over a thousand varieties of orchids.
Satan OrchidSatan Orchid
Satan Orchid

Looks more like a monkey face to us!
BonsaiBonsai
Bonsai

Some of the specimens were over 30 years old, even the one in the pink top.
Carolina eatsCarolina eats
Carolina eats

There are all kinds of food stands set up in the park. A great way to sample local food.
Shared lunchShared lunch
Shared lunch

One of the great joys of travelling is to sample new foods. It is very inexpensive to eat out here. A good lunch for two with wine is $20 or less. Our dinner bill for 6 last night was $150.
CevicheCeviche
Ceviche

Considered an Ecuadorian speciality, this one was served at a beautiful little neighbourhood restaurant - it contained marinated tuna, octopus, prawns and veggies in a delicious broth. With plantain chips on the side.
Had to try it!Had to try it!
Had to try it!

Yep, half a guinea pig. Tasted more like duck than chicken. The head was a little off-putting.
Thermal SpringsThermal Springs
Thermal Springs

Just back from an overnight to Papallacta, a thermal spa area about 60km east of Quito and a little higher up. Our cosy room came with a fireplace and its own thermal pool, about the size of 3 large bath tubs...despite being on the equator the elevation (over 10 000') means it gets chilly at night.
Thermal digs.Thermal digs.
Thermal digs.

A great overnight getaway from the bustle and noise of Quito.
Hosteria PampallactaHosteria Pampallacta
Hosteria Pampallacta

Not sure why they squeezed an "m" into the name. Bill & Noi had spent 4 days here and suggested one night would be enough. We took their good advice. It has 3 large outdoor pools and smaller individual ones in each room.
Chev SparkChev Spark
Chev Spark

It lacked the spark needed to get up the Andes. Much of the drive was in 2nd gear.
Bear crossingBear crossing
Bear crossing

We were hoping to have to stop to watch a bear family cross...not this time.
AntisanaAntisana
Antisana

Spectacular view of the volcano high in the Andes (18 000 feet) on the road from Quito to Papallacta.
Wake up callWake up call
Wake up call

Provided by this noisy beast this morning at 6.30am.



11th January 2019

Fun fun fun
Looks like a fabulous holiday. Lovely to catch up with Paul and Paddy too.

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb