Day 3 & 4


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Otavalo
May 24th 2005
Published: May 24th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We left Quito early yesterday morning and set off for Mindo which is in the Cloud Forest. We stopped on the way to visit an Orchid reserve and had a walk through the sub tropical rainforest where we saw some lizards and birds. We then made our way to Mindo Gardens which is the lodge where we stayed right next the Mindo river, which was about 6 kilometers from the nearest village along a dirt track. We had lunch in the restaurant whilst watching a selection of Hummingbirds feeding just outside the window. In the afternoon we went to a Butterfly breeding centre and saw Butterflies at all stages of development. Later on we visited another cafe where we saw some different species of Hummingbirds and a Parrot.

Today we were woken at 5.30 am to go on a 3 hour birdwatching walk through the cloudforest. We saw 15 to 20 different species of bird including some Toucanettes and a Choco Toucan ( see beverleeĀ“s photo later ). Back to the lodge for breakfast and then off to the middle of the earth ( Mitad del mundo). We did some interesting experiments to prove that we were on the equator and have photos to prove it. We had luch on the Equator and then drove across the Guayllabamba Canyon to Otavalo which is where we are staying tonight. Our accommodation so far has been 1st class as has the food.

Will update this travelblog when we next have internet access and hopefully download some photos on monday.

Advertisement



25th May 2005

Sounds amazing, i'm so jealous!! Can't wait to see the first pic's next week, keep up the early mornings! love laura xx - Laura

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb