Some thoughts about los ninos


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Otavalo
August 20th 2005
Published: August 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

in classin classin class

We always ask for permission before taking a picture, but the girls are generally a little shy!
Having met a quite a few children now in school but also in the town centre of Otavalo, I realise more and more how differently children are growing up here. Strangely enough, despite the poverty, one hardly sees a child cry or moan. Children just seem to be there without anyone paying particular attention to them. The number of children running around in the streets of Otavalo is simply stunning, but neither the parents nor the children themselves seem to be worried.

The children I have met in school live the life of absolute freedom. They don't have to tell anyone where or when they are going. I doubt that they have any toys but they keep themselved busy playing hide and seek or riding their horses. I asked some of them yesterday what they are doing when they are not coming to school. They answered that they have to look after their families' cows and pigs or help working on the fields. Juan-Hiro, an absolutely lovely three-year-old, walked past school on Monday with a rope and a machete (!!) in his hand and shouted "Senora, no puedo aprender hoy, debo trabajer! " (I can't learn today,I have to work)
Yet, I feel that these children know so much. They are very practically minded and quite sporty. I have stopped telling them off for trying to climb up the school building or for playing with barbed wire - they never seem to hurt themselves and the concept of someone having a go at them seems to be rather strange.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

in classin class
in class

sometimes the older children look after younger siblings during school time.


21st August 2005

lovely photos
What wonderful photos and what an exciting experience you are having. Life in England willseem very dull when you get back and the girls at Northwood College will seem very privileged.

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb