Middle of the Earth


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mitad del Mundo
June 9th 2008
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we left Quito and headed north towards the Equator visiting the excellent "In Situ" Inti-Nan solar museum. We learnt some of the history of the indigenous people as well as having the opportunity to conduct lots of cool experiments! We watched the Kondi Contrifugat forces in action by pouring water down a sink on the equator line, in the northern hemisphere and then the southern hemisphere. We also attempted to balance an egg on the head of a nail and walk in a straight line along the equator with our eyes closed. You could feel yourself being pulled either side. It was really cool. Afterwards we headed to the Mitad del Mundo which marks the original spot of the equator line before we had GPS.

On the way to our next stop of Otovalo we visited the Guayllamba Canyon, an inhabited volcano and had our lunch beside Lake San Paulo. A short hike in Peguche to the sacred waterfall of La Cascada de Peguche was amazing. The spray was fierce and we enjoyed seeing the eucalyptus trees. Dad and I enjoyed our first beer. Not bad but they were enormous. Sure I will be able to manage two of them by the end of the holiday!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Guayllamba CanyonGuayllamba Canyon
Guayllamba Canyon

An Inhabited volcano


21st June 2008

science
Cool, science experiments on vacation, sounds very fun and interesting! Didn't know such place actually exsisted!

Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb