The End


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mindo
December 5th 2005
Published: December 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Guards outside schoolGuards outside schoolGuards outside school

I think the Ecuadorian government expects chaos to break out at any moment . . .
Today is my last day in Quito. Endings are bittersweet . . . I've had an incredible time traveling, but I am looking forward to being back in the US and seeing my family and friends for the holidays.

This last week has been especially good since I am more comfortable with Quito and have really seen it come alive during the fiesta. We went to a soccer match and, despite rain and other logistical difficulties, the Quitenos spirits were as passionate as ever. Coming from the US, it seemed that there was an "anything goes" attitude . . vendors sell liquor and bottle rockets (I think I scared the people around me with mine!) . . . the group of dedicated fans who come to every Nacional game decked out in red can also be identified as the people with torches or, in lieu of, holding up burning newspaper as their flame! Nacional scored two goals to win the game, and each goal caused pandemonium in the stadium!!

Thursday night we went to El Parque de Carolina for one of the fiesta's concerts . . .I still don't know who was singing, but it attracted throngs of people.
Dedicated spectatorsDedicated spectatorsDedicated spectators

Nacional is one of the Quito teams . . .they were playing Cuenca.
. . for the most part we stayed just outside the crowd, munching and drinking. The fiesta also prompts groups of people to ride around in open air trucks singing, dancing, playing music, etc . . .doesn't matter what time of the day it is. Friday night, we hit up a few bars . . perhaps because of the fiesta, people were already filling the bars and the streets at 8:30! The bars here are a mix of locals and tourists . . . and they have excellent margaritas!!

Over the weekend we went to Mindo, a village (a little more than one street, really) between the sierra and coastal regions of Ecuador. On Saturday we visited an impressive butterfly conservation center. The center breeds 25 of the 250 species found in Ecuador! Check out pics below . . .

On Sunday we took a cable car over to the rainforest and hiked around waterfalls for a few hours. Again, I think pictures do more justice than words . . .

And so I end my travelblog. Tomorrow night, I will be back in the US, hanging out in Dublin, GA for a few weeks before going
Nacional vs. CuencaNacional vs. CuencaNacional vs. Cuenca

Nacional is in red . . .
to DC. I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Hostal in MindoHostal in Mindo
Hostal in Mindo

Lovely family that hosted us in Mindo . . . across the street are several roosters that sound an alarm at 4:00am . . . at least you know where lunch comes from.
CatepillarsCatepillars
Catepillars

At the butterfly conservation center . . . new butterflies emerge everyday!
MindoMindo
Mindo

This is basically the town . . .
Bridge out?Bridge out?
Bridge out?

Perhaps some trail maintenance is in order . . .


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb