Back to Quito


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » North » Mindo
August 8th 2006
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Everyone (except Giovanny)Everyone (except Giovanny)Everyone (except Giovanny)

This is everyone who helped on the project, except Giovanny who had to take the picture! The poor guy had about 10 cameras to deal with. I am fourth from the right.
This was the day we headed back to Quito. We stopped first to donate some school supplies to a local school. The staff and kids were all very grateful, the kids even performed a Spanish language version of "The Hokey Pokey" that was beyond adorable. I passed around a snapshot I had with me of my son, since he was about the same age as they were. The school seemed very well run, the staff was dedicated and the kids happy.

We stopped for lunch at the Bellavista Lodge. This is an eco-lodge, restaurant and research station at the top of a hill between Mindo and Quito. They put out lots of hummingbird feeders near the restaurant, and dozens of birds are present during the daylight hours. It is definitely worth a stop if you are in the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Getting ready to leaveGetting ready to leave
Getting ready to leave

Note the horses that have come to carry our stuff back to the road.
The children at the school.The children at the school.
The children at the school.

Even though the school seemed pretty well supplied, and very well run, the children were happy to get new school supplies.
Matt talking with one of the kids.Matt talking with one of the kids.
Matt talking with one of the kids.

As the best Spanish-speaker among the volunteers, Matt often ended up as our spokesman.
Hummingbirds at Bella VistaHummingbirds at Bella Vista
Hummingbirds at Bella Vista

There were clouds of hummingbirds at this location, visiting the many feeders.


30th October 2007

Thanks for posting this
I'm thinking of doing this same expedition, so now I have a better idea of what it is all about. The photos are terrific.
17th November 2007

Re: Thanks
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately last I heard Earthwatch is no longer running this expedition. There have a couple of others in that part of the world though. Anyway Earthwatch is a great organization to deal with, and all the Ecuadorians I met were friendly, hardworking people.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0758s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb