I Have Arrived


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
April 27th 2014
Published: April 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

“Welcome aboard the National Geographic Endeavour”, was the theme of the day. We left Guayaquil behind and a short 1 hour 15 minute flight (700 miles) we landed on San Cristobal Island in the small port town of Baquerizo Moreno, a town of more than 8,000. This is where we boarded a Zodiac boat “panga” to be shuttled to the ship. After the mandatory safety drill we had a buffet lunch and were introduced to the expedition leader PaulaTagle. We received a great orientation regarding the volcanic islands that comprise the Galapagos Archipelago. Many of the animals which thrive is in this environment are endemic which simply means they are found nowhere else on earth. This includes many varieties of finches, mockingbirds, giant tortoises, blue footed boobies, sally lightfoot crabs along with many others.



After lunch we headed out for our first adventure, back in the Zodiac boats to a site know as Cerro Brujo. We experienced our first “wet landing”. The beach was beautiful soft white sand made of broken coral and shells that have been crushed and broken down to the consistency of a fine powder. This is created by the parrotfish who each the live coral and digest it leaving the waste to wash up on the shore. Next time you're laying on a nice, soft, sandy, white beach, thank the parrotfish!!!! The Pacific Ocean was warm and the surf just perfect for wave jumping. I spotted a ray in the water. There were sea lions basking in the sun. They take no mind to you at all, just opening one eye and stretching as if to say “you’re interrupting my nap.”



We saw two birds enjoying a mating ritual and they too were oblivious to us. But I have to say my “favorite sighting” of the day was the sally lightfoot crabs. When small they are black and not very attractive but the older and larger they get the more vibrant the colors - they are orange, red, blue and purple.



Because there are no predators here the animals are not threatened and do not show fear. As the naturalist put it, “it’s a waste of energy”.

Today I was “camera challenged” and really didn’t get many pictures and those I did were not stellar. Hopefully that improves as the week progresses.



The soft rolling of the ship is about to rock a lullaby baby to sleep. So until tomorrow, it’s sweet dreams for me.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0557s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb