Rocky Road Ahead


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Española Island
April 28th 2014
Published: April 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up early, coffee and then stretch class on the Sun Deck led by Hilda. Breakfast and then a short orientation before we took the Zodiac boats to go deep water drift snorkeling. No coral here and not many colorful fish. Did spot a big school of fish, over hundred I would say but the water was not very clear so could not get pictures. After about an hour took a ride to the white sand beach of Espanola. Lots of sea lions were scattered about the beach, they live in colonies with one dominant male and 15 or so females. One male was very persistently approaching his females on the beach and tried like a soldier to interest any one of his harem, alas, there was no interest from the girls. Poor guy was repeatedly snubbed. The little sea lion pups were suckling their mothers and just as happy as larks to be basking in the sun on such a lovely day. Some of the pups were playing in the water and I got a really great little video of them. The females can become pregnant immediately after birthing, however the pups need to suckle for a year so as God is so great, the females suspend the impregnated egg until the end of the year and then it attaches and develops. The gestation period is 9 months.



The water is all shades of blue and turquoise and the warm white sand was soothing and soft. This afternoon we took a hike, about 1.75 miles, hopping over large (2 – 3 feet) square, rectangle and triangular boulders, it was a rather arduous trail but the rewards were awesome. We saw lots of Galapagos marine iguanas, lava lizards, mocking birds, Anzac boobies, a couple blue footed boobies and the absolutely phenomenal Galapagos albatross. They have just returned to the island for mating season and we saw lots of courtship action. They are truly amazing and the way they waddle due to their bottom heaviness and large feet was truly charming. We also visited a great blowhole, larger than any other I have ever seen. On the way back to the zodiac it started to rain and we were all drenched before we got back to the ship. My legs are aching and I can’t decide if it’s because of all the stairs on the ship or the boulder hopping. Probably a combination of both! Tomorrow we visit Florenana. Being on the equator sunrise and sunset is 6:00 every day, so our excursions start early and finish before dark. This is really a remarkable place and no animal shows any concern for any of us. Looking forward to another good night’s sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb