adios port


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
June 22nd 2008
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

So we are wrapping up our final weekend in port, which is bittersweet. We really love being down here but at the same time, it is a small town of only 5,000 so there´s only so much you can do on the weekends. Saturday was a really good time though. We went to the local beach, Playa Mann, where there was a bartending type competition going on. We watched that for a bit and then rented a kayak and headed out for a bit. We paddled around the harbor and started to go around the coast some- but quickly ended up in open ocean which was pretty rough so we turned around and headed back.

After wards we went to our staple place for lunch.. a restaurant called La Playa where you can get a chicken sandwich and fries for $3 and have a seat on the outdoor patio over the ocean. Some of the volunteers that live in town (working at the school, etc. as opposed to up at the station where we are) have a house down here and were planning a BBQ so they invited all the Jatun Sacha volunteers over. It was a good time and we had BBQ chicken, potato and pasta salad, etc.. your typical homestyle picnic, so it was a nice change of pace.

Finished up at Polo´s Bar where they were having their $1 caipirina night and headed home afterwards. So it really was a good last night in Port.

Today we are taking it easy.. checked out a new place for breakfast, and sadly, think its the best one we´ve had here. too bad we won´t be able to enjoy it again. We were able to find a few disposable cameras so atleast we will have some photos to show from our trip to the mainland when we get back. We´ve got some pretty awesome things planned for our trip next week which we will write about on Weds. (since we´re hitting our limit for internet at the moment) but we can´t wait! It makes it a bit easier to leave this fantastic place knowing we´ve got somewhere else just as cool to go to.

So this will probably be our last post from the galapagos. We head back up to the station this afternoon and will be working on monday and tuesday, and heading down to the airport wednesday morning. our flight to quito leaves at about noon and should land at 4. we´ll be spending another night in the hostal we were at when we flew in and are excited to go back there since it was so cool.. so we will have internet access to post again once we are safely back to quito.

until then, take care!

mindy and ryan


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

View from Casa BlancaView from Casa Blanca
View from Casa Blanca

..one of our favorite afternoon hangouts


24th June 2008

almost done....
too bad about the cameras...can't believe time is coming to a close...just got back from BUffalo where they are mourning poor Tim..Bun and Don are here...Casey started her first 12 hr shift today...miss you guys lotz but your blog has made me feel like I am sort of there..... have a great last week......

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb