back to quito..


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
June 26th 2008
Published: June 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So last night we had a bit of a final hurrah at the station. Everyone went down to the bar and had a good time, which was a nice way to finish up our time on the Galapagos. Sadly, it´s been cloudy over the highlands for the last 3 weeks so we never got to see the stars again from the station (which are fantastic). Overnight, clouds moved in and we woke up to really heavy rain. This isn´t a good thing when you need to catch a cab to the airport.. and said cab needs to make it up a mountain in the mud on a not so paved road so we were a bit worried we´d be trekking down the mountain to meet him wherever he may have gotten stuck. Luckily, he was able to make it up and we made it to the airport on time... maybe too much time since our plane arrived an hour late.

we only arrived in quito about 2 hours ago, and just got back to our cozy little hostel. Everything here has been great so far so we´re quite excited. We ended up being put in one of the nicer rooms here (they´re all fine but this one has a few extra perks) that we were eyeing the last time we were here. But the even better news we recieved has to do with tomorrow. Tomorrow morning we are heading out to the sister hostel of this one, which is about 2 hours outside up at the Cotopaxi National Park which is supposed to be absolutely fantastic, with the highest active volcano in South America. Getting there is apparently a bit tricky and involves taking a public bus from the quito bus station, asking to be dropped off on the side of a road near the park, and then paying $25 or so for a private vehicle to drive you the rest of the way. Luckily, our hostel offers door to door transfer for $40, and two other people here are also heading up that way tomorrow.. so we are splitting that and it works out to $10 each for a much easier and safer way to go.. so needless to say we are incredibly excited about that!

So tomorrow morning we´re going to get up and have breakfast on the terrace here, and then head up to this other
The road to the stationThe road to the stationThe road to the station

.. on a dry day.. on one of the better sections of road...
hostel at around 11 which should get us there in time for lunch. This place just opened up a year ago and from what I can tell, is more like a nice lodge up in the mountains.. as I don´t think that we will be too near any towns (could be wrong though). So we will be hiking and biking and doing lots of outdoorsy things up in this park for the next few days so it should be a great time.

so for now, we´re going to relax up on the roof with dinner and enjoy the view of quito, as well as the small luxuries of hot showers, no bugs, and sleeping without a mosquito net! I don´t believe we will have any internet access up in cotopaxi, but the hostel we *hopefully* have reserved in Banos will. We should get to Banos sometime on Sunday, so check back for an update then.

p.s... thanks to everyone that has been leaving comments, we really enjoy reading them and hearing from everyone back home!

until then, take care!

mindy and ryan

Advertisement



27th June 2008

hi you little treckers......
hey guys.... sounds like your trip is ending on a bang....how will you return to this civilized life....or maybe it's the other way around! we are all fine....the gang is getiing ready to descend on us for the 4th....nice day to be coming back to the US....let me know what time you arrive so we can pick you up .....maybe call me when you land as you will have to wait for luggage and customs(?) have a great time out in the bush...will check in Sunday night to see how it went..... love and kisses......ma xoxoxoxox

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb