Short update with lists


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos
July 29th 2005
Published: July 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Post Office BayPost Office BayPost Office Bay

You leave unstamped letters and collect any from your home town to deliver on your return. I sent four.
Back on main island again briefly today to visit the Darwin Research Station, where they keep the giant tortoises (and boy were they giant, apart from the babies, some of which were very small).

Boring for you maybe, but I need a record of what I´ve seen. Now let me think:

When first arrived at harbour to go to boat, sea lions and pelicans all lying around/standing on peoples´boats. Funny black seagulls.

Then we went somewhere, an island, and on land for lots more sea lions (always one lying on the jetty as you approach), many feeding. Blue footed boobies, saw a female take over from a male in incubating the eggs but they didn´t "dance". They had no fear of us. Lots of red and blue crabs, the young ones are black.

Then, some snorkelling. Too many different types of fish to remember. Some incredible covered, like that rectangular one with bright edges. Big neon one was good. Then turned rund underwater and face to face with sea lion who snapped at me. Lots of messing arund with the sea lions and beiong a little bit scared. Can´t snorkel forever, it gets cold.

Day 2. So-called South Plaza for walk. Iguanas, both marine and land, cliff edge with good views of flying pelicans and nocturnal sea birds with red rings round eyes. Dead sea lion that looked like a blanket from a distance, with crabs on it. Didn´t see hybrid land-marine iguana. Sea lions in abundance. Litlle domestic scene with big sea lion not letting little one near female for milk.

Sailed to Santa Fe. Lots of sea lions on beach, one has been attacked by a shark. Saw sharks just below the surface from the boat. More big land iguanas. A sea lion skeleton. More birds. Snorkelling nearby. Great big sholas of grey fish with yellow tails. Lobster (v rare, well done, Liz). A male sea lion (keep out of his way). A ray that didn´t move.

To Puerta Ayora for evening and sleep there. See enormous ray go past the boat in the harbour.

Then, Charles Darwin Research place. Tortoises, very big they were. Walk along beach to patch where there are iguanas on top of iguanas, really keen on this little bit of grass.

Stroll into town. Pass fish stall where pelicans and a stork (/heron/crane, have never know the difference) are scavenging for offcuts.

Go to internet place. Read emails. Think to make a short entry, and must remmeber to tell Sammie that for me the photos are in an option named "gallery" on my control panel, presume it must be fairly easy for you as some computer dunces (don´t mean you, Maria) seem to have managed. Rush to meet little boat to go back to big boat for lunch. Biggest marine iguanas on island this abbo. Hasta luego.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb