It's evolution baby!


Advertisement
South America » Ecuador » Galápagos » Puerto Ayora
February 24th 2016
Published: February 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The Galapagos Islands, Darwin and evolution are closely connected in most people’s minds. The truth, however, is far more mundane. The breeding of dogs by English dog-breeders and pigeons were what inspired Darwin. The Galapagos and its wildlife on the other hand hardly features in his book, ‘The Origin of Species’. In fact when Darwin came to the Galapagos he was far more interested in its ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Los TunnelesLos Tunneles
Los Tunneles

Green turtle gliding through the waters
Los TunnelesLos Tunneles
Los Tunneles

Seal outside Los Tunneles
Los TunnelesLos Tunneles
Los Tunneles

Penguin, sea-lion and blue-footed booby on the rocks
Los TunnelesLos Tunneles
Los Tunneles

Sea horse
Los TunnelesLos Tunneles
Los Tunneles

Pacific green turtle
Los TunnelesLos Tunneles
Los Tunneles

My mum swimming with the turtles
Los TunnelesLos Tunneles
Los Tunneles

Golden rays
Los TunnelesLos Tunneles
Los Tunneles

A whole swarm of them... Photo courtesy of our guide
Los TunnelesLos Tunneles
Los Tunneles

And a another shot of a sleeping white tipped reef shark



25th February 2016

Amazing.
As an ex evolutionary biologist, I'm reading this green with envy. It looks amazing and the pictures are fab. Did you do it all land based and would you recommend this? Seems to be much cheaper (although still pricey) than doing a cruise.
26th February 2016

Recommendations
Don't book anything in advance, go off-season, shop around. You might get good deals once you arrive, last minute cruises can be super cheap. Do ask what they include. For the outer islands you have no choice but to take a cruise, but there is plenty to see around the three main islands which each can be reached by public boat from Santa Cruz Island (55 dollars return, the return ticket can be used whenever you want to come back, there is not date on it). From either of these islands you will have to take some tours to see certain things, but there is loads you can do without even taking a tour. Outside the pier of Isabela you can snorkel and see plenty of rays, penguins, sharks. Same for around Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz, also there are plenty of opportunities to see birds up close without doing a tour, and tortoises and iguanas. For certain birds/sea-life/iguanas, you will have to take tours though. Think in the range of 150 for full day tour, to 85 for half day tours.
25th February 2016

Amazing
Wow! what an amazing experience. How wonderful to see the animals up close & how lovely that they have no fear. I hope we can go there sometime too!
26th February 2016

I hope so too!
I'm sure you will get there one day. Maybe I will join you. I am going to return after all :)
26th February 2016
Guayaquil

Sharks and rays and iguanas--oh my!
That's a take-off on something from the Wizard of Oz which seems appropriate here--you're no longer in Het Nederland. What a wonderful adventure, with so many spottings of amazing animals without taking those outrageously expensive cruises. I'm so happy that you saw so much from your two land-based settings and dives. This had been my dream, and now you've confirmed it. Good to hear that Guayaquil isn't the total pit I'd feared (I adore these sun-facing iguanas)--I'll fly from there too. Thanks for the fab info!
26th February 2016
Guayaquil

Well, the Galapagos still aren't cheap...
The diving cost 150 dollars for 2 dives, the snorkeling tour cost 140 dollars for a full day and 85 dollars for the half day Isabela snorkeling tour. That does include lunch and equipment. Than there is 100 dollars entry fee to the islands, 20 dollars for something else, and around 10 dollars of other expenses you can't possibly avoid. Cheapest accommodation is around 15 dollars, the public boats between Santa Cruz and Isabela are 55 dollars for the return trip, and a typical meal will be around 10 dollars including a drink. Just to give you an idea. But it is worth it, so do go! And if you have time and don't book anything in advance you might be able to get great deals on cruises as well (we were offered a 5 days cruise for 500 dollars, which is ridiculously cheap, but we had already paid for 3 nights at our hotel). Also come off-season for the best deals and less crowds.
26th February 2016

I have to go....
I always put off the Galapagos to go somewhere else, but I think your pictures and story has to put this back up towards the top of the list. Congratulations to your Mum for persevering (it gets harder as it goes, you'll see). Thanks for taking us along with you!
27th February 2016

Yeah, don't put it off too long
Because nothing ever becomes cheaper... And I am very proud of my mum as well :)

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 18; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb