ECUADOR- Week 2 Rainforest, 17-23rd Jan


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » East » Tena
March 23rd 2009
Published: March 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Week 2.

Our second week on camp began with an enjoyable weekend exploring the local Agua Santa market where we indulged in all the treats we’d been missing including chicken, crisps and sweets!

The market also provided beers for our Saturday night pub quiz run by Catherine and Mark.

On Sunday we all travelled over to the Yachana College to watch the boys play football with the local students. The conditions were hot and humid so the away team struggled in the first half, but did well to keep their defense together and lost by a close 2-1. Many thanks to Connie Eberl one of our fellow EMs who dontaed the pics of the boys in aciton.

Later in the week Sima taught her first English class as the local Puerto Rico elementary school, which was very enjoyable and rewarding.

The highlight of our second week was taking a long walk out to a satellite camp (sat camp) and sleeping out in hammocks in the middle of the rainforest. This was led by staff member Matt so we immediately renamed the trip Matt camp!

Once we’d established our camp we went on a night stream walk and amongst other things saw a four-eyed possum and owl butterfly, the largest rainforest butterfly so named to due to the large eyespot on each of its hind wings.

The next morning we headed back via a very refreshing cascada (waterfall), here we spotted some beautiful Morpho butterflies( large metallic blue species).



Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb