climbing on Ilinizas norte


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Latacunga
July 2nd 2007
Published: July 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

crowded refugiocrowded refugiocrowded refugio

the refuge on the way to iliniza norte was small and crowed as shown here. it had triple bunks and a loft with more beds, probably accomodating up to 25 people...as long as they were in their bunks. floor space was more limited
i wanted to climb this peak and, once again, since i was going solo I was charged a premium price $100, instead of $80 which would have been the effective rate if there´d been two or more people. going alone with the guide is always preferred, inspite of the price, because the hiking/climbing is only on your own pace, rest stops as well. It turned out that there was another person who went with us and don´t even think that i might have been reimbursed for the ¨solo premium¨.
Be that as it may, the climb was quite arduous with a 3000 foot slog through sand and loose rock up to the refugio where we stopped for a brief lunch before continuing towards the top. note that we didn´t make it to the top but only to a saddle below the peak because it got to be past 2 p.m. which made the snow loose with the sun shining on it. However, we got some worthwhile photos of the peak from the saddle in the brief moments of cloud clearing. On the way down, I dropped/lost one of my over-mitts, necessary equipment for hand protection in cold and windy conditions.
view of ilinizas norteview of ilinizas norteview of ilinizas norte

the approach to this 16,800 foot peak is from the left where minimal snow would be encountered
Until i find a replacement set of gloves, i suppose i´ll make due with a wool sock as an overmitt, although this doesn´t give the wind protection that the nylon shell gave. I really can´t complain though as those gloves served me well for several years of mountain travel in southern california.
As i really got worked on yesterdays climb, i´m going to chill (probably the wrong descriptor) here in town (still Latacunga) today, do some laundry in hotel sink, get atm funds, and read up on Quilota destination which will be next, and hang out in plaza, read some fiction and as last resort watch one of the two T.V. channels in english in hotel room.
By the way, the lodging accomodations are $10 per night in a big room with four beds where i am sole occupant...can´t beat that, not even with a stick.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

mostly cloud covered this daymostly cloud covered this day
mostly cloud covered this day

there were only brief breaks in the clouds during the entire trip up and back
one of the markets in latacungaone of the markets in latacunga
one of the markets in latacunga

crowded market place selling fruits and vegetables and assorted other stuff


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb