Saquisili Thursday Market


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Central Highlands
January 14th 2007
Published: February 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Every Thursday there is a public market in the town of Saquisili. We went to the market with our Spanish teacher Silvana and one other student from Germany. The market is famous for being slightly cheaper than the Otavalanian market to the North of Quito. The Otavalanian market is more artisan based. The Saquisili market has more household wares. They both have animal markets.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

On the bus On the bus
On the bus

It takes about 2 hours on the bus to get to Saquisili. The view on the drive was amazing, but like most Ecadorian buses - we were going so fast it was impossible take photos.
Saquisili Steets Saquisili Steets
Saquisili Steets

The steets are packed every Thursday and Sunday with people selling and buying various items for the house. There is also a small section of the market for artisan crafts.
Bike Carts Bike Carts
Bike Carts

Animal carts and bike carts are important means of transporting goods in town.
Horse and Cart Horse and Cart
Horse and Cart

The animals and people carry amazing loads of misc. items throughout town.
Animal Market 5Animal Market 5
Animal Market 5

Kerensa really liked the llamas.
Cuy Cuy
Cuy

The cuy/guinea pigs are a highlands favorite and sell for about what we pay for lobster. They grill them over the BBQ with lots of butter and they eat every part. Kerensa has eaten cuy on two different occations. It is kind of like eating salty beef jerky.
Houseware Market Houseware Market
Houseware Market

There really is a little bit of anything you might want to buy here.
Raindeer Hat Raindeer Hat
Raindeer Hat

Hats for sale.
Produce Market Produce Market
Produce Market

Always beautiful fruit displays. When we were at the market the fruit of the day was mandarines (15 for $1).
Backyard GardenBackyard Garden
Backyard Garden

Almost all families have an enclosed house garden.
Reed Mats Reed Mats
Reed Mats

$1.50 for small and $3.00 for large


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb