i can die within 4 minutes if i dont run fast enough!


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
September 29th 2006
Published: October 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

27th September- 29th October

The Idyllic town of Banos is situated in one of the lushest green valleys that i´ve come across, and shouldered nearby by a volcano, which has erupted twice in the last few months, sending people running! i heard that if the eruption was big enough, then you have about 4 minutes to get across the other side of a bordering river! and the scarry thing is, they can never predict when this will happen! the volcano is almost always mildly active and you can see the red flames in the dark of night.



stayed in a very cool hostel called ¨plantas y Blanco¨, with its own steam room and a rooftop bar overlooking the town. Met 2 Canadian girls called Sheryl and Erin and for the next 2 days we attempted to conquer the town.



Day 1 - hired some bikes and hit the mainly downward road to Puyo, passing by beautiful cascades, lush green mountains and daring cliffs. We crossed to the other side of the mountain by cable car and found a little gem- a trout farm in the middle of nowhere, where you could fish for your trout and then eat it fresh! yummy! the man was so patient with us....a pool full of fish and still it took us 10 minutes to catch that 3rd trout!




day 2- got on horseback with one of the nicest guides that i have ever met. named Jamie (pronounced Khaymie), he had beautiful strong horses. My horse, named Tornado, was the youngest of the 4 horses. it seems that he was still to pass the initiation stage of entry into the group, as they would attempt to bite him each each time he attempted to overtake! then he would try and kick me when i would try and get on his back! i would be pissed off too if i had to carry me on my back up a steep mountain! we visited a view point overlooking the beautiful town of Banos, stood face to face to the temperamental volcano, and saw the path that it had carved along the hillside in recent months.




Then onto another overnight bus, that i knew would soon be extended into a 2 day nightmare as i attempted to make my way back to Lima, Peru.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

horseback riding through the valleys of Banoshorseback riding through the valleys of Banos
horseback riding through the valleys of Banos

with erin and Sheryl (both from canada)


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb