Volcanic survivors


Advertisement
Ecuador's flag
South America » Ecuador » Centre » Baños
August 18th 2006
Published: August 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Where do we start? Actually we´re not in Banos any longer but in Puyo, 1000 metres down in the Oriente (Ecuadorian Amazon basin) after evacuating! The volcano was rumbling around all day yesterday (it was hard to concentrate on our Spanish verbs while the windows rattled and the volcano roared). However, we were assured we were in no danger, and in fact were quite excited to go up and have a look at the activity from a safe distance.

Just in case, when we went to bed we packed an emergency bag, which was just as well as two of us - Rosemarie and Gail - were dramatically rushed up another mountain at 1am with the rest of the town to spend the night. They crossed the only bridge, with people surging across on foot, with their bedding and children in their arms. The flat-backs of the cars were loaded with people hiding under mattresses and blankets to avoid the fallout.

The other two were woken up by the crashing of scoria and ash on their corrugated iron roof. The noise was deafening. There was no power, therefore no sirens. We could see people evacuating with tin pots on their heads. Amazingly there didn´t seem to be any panic because this town has lived with Tungurahua for centuries, and has a very efficient escape plan.

Diane and Jean actually ended up being the only foreigners to remain in town all night - their host Dad was one of the coordinators of the Civil Defence here, and we stayed in their large, seemingly safe house.

This morning the town was covered in grey ash and lumps of scoria, which the local people (and a bit of our help) laboriously swept up after their return. We all had to wear hats and masks because of the dust and fumes. Unfortunately by the time we were leaving the wind had got up, and it was all being blown around again.

We decided that the locals have enough trouble on their hands, without having to think about us, so our Spanish lessons have come to an abrupt end, and we´ve left town. Our only option was to travel to Puyo, an hour and a half east of Banos, because a lava flow has blocked the main access to the west, and is unlikely to be passable for another week. We´re now planning to make our way to Quito/Cuenca: details not finalised, but we´ll be moving off tomorrow morning.

Well, we wanted an adventure - but this is ridiculous!!

We´re all safe and in good spirits, if a bit weary after a sleepless night. We felt sad to leave our charming families in such circumstances, and will be watching the news closely.

If you don´t hear for a few days, it´s because things around here are of course a bit chaotic at the moment, and travel difficult. We´ll keep in touch as soon as we can.

Where are all those messages? Let´s have a bit of moral support and sympathy after our action-packed holiday! Sorry about the lack of pictures!

Love to all ...

GRDJ



Advertisement



18th August 2006

Run, run, run
Hi Girlies! Hope you are all fine. What an adventurous (dangerous) time you are all having! This reads like a good book what you are writing. It is difficult to actually imagine what trouble you are going through right now. You are so lucky that you are just girls only, no dare devil male with you to change your plans. Let’s have more news from you if possible ( and pictures). We wish you good luck and health. Gile and Detlef
18th August 2006

Bloody Hell
Hope you're all ok and not too shaken up....come home safely ....
18th August 2006

Hi Kiwis
I hope you are well. Have not heard from NZ Gouvernment looking for you. Our civil defence is obviously not as well organised What a trip this turns out to be. Remember you cannot fly so take it easy. Regards Gunter

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1021.8kb